1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ChrisD., Sep 23, 2008.

1. JamesEW

Associate

Sorry i missed your post. I moved onto the 100mb VM package recently but my linksys isn't even gigabit on the ports so not getting more than 30mb.

I will be connecting my main pc and htpc via ethernet to router, but will also be using wireless for devices and stuff. £300 would be pushing it a bit for me personaly. I mainly want reliable speeds and little wifi drop outs and atleast some router config settings for stuff like port forwarding and dhcp configuring.

Again i'm not too technical with all this stuff and was hoping to just buy a half decent router to plug into SH2 for reliable internet speeds. My SH2 is quite old so not sure its ac.

2. Rainmaker

Soldato

With your budget I would probably grab the TP-Link Archer C7 v2 from the choice available on OcUK. The Asus AC56u - like all Asus routers - has good wired routing and decent firmware, but it's not supported by Merlin firmware and has lacklustre wifi compared to the similarly-priced Archer C7. The C7 will route gigabit at wire speed over ethernet, and has decent enough wifi provided you're not sat right on top of it. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Wait for some others to chip in, but that's my 0.02.

As an aside, was the SH2 really that lacking for such basics as DHCP and port forwarding? If you really can't use it then the above are options, but I'd have another look if I was you to be sure.

3. triggerthat

Soldato

Hi - looking to get VM at my girlriend's place. They currently have a £50 refer a friend scheme and the best deal we can find is £27 per month for a 50mb line + telephone. Is this the best I can do? Only interested in Broadband and apparently getting the telephone line is cheaper.

4. MonkeyMan

Mobster

Is the referral a link or a promo code? Perhaps double it up with quidco / topcashback?

5. triggerthat

Soldato

6. kannanni

Gangster

Hiya,

I understand the upload is capped on the standart 200 meg package.
    do virgin restrict upload when using facetime,skype or any other video apps? also i do connect to my nas externally to watch movies, shows or moving files sometimes.. will this be a problem on the upload restriction ?

7. Rainmaker

Soldato

VIVID200 customers are subject to upload traffic management between 6pm and 11pm, but it only affects the 'top 3%' of customers. If you upload 2.25GB in an hour, or 3GB over two hours inside that period, your upload speed will be cut down until 11pm. You can still upload but at 50% speed loss (1 hour penalty) or 65% speed loss (2 hour penalty). If this is a concern to you, just upgrade to VIVID350 (which I have :D) as it's not subject to any limits (up or down).

8. MonkeyMan

Mobster

I'm confused now, isn't the upload on the 200 package 12Mbps? Do they slow you down if you use it? :confused:

Looking at VM in the next month or so but a decent upload speed was appealing on the 200 package, perhaps I'll have to pay more for the 300 tier if they throttle you.

9. kannanni

Gangster

i tried online but it said vivid 300 is not avaiable in my area. will try ringing them tomorrow to double check avaiability. i would have thought they have upgraded most areas by now

10. Rainmaker

Soldato

Yes the basic VIVID200 package has a 12Mbps upload. The VIVID200 Gamer (now replaced by the 300/350 tiers) had a 20Mbps upload and no restrictions. Now that distinction of 20Mbps+ upload and no management/restrictions goes to the 300/350 tiers (it varies by area which one you can get).

The 300/350 tiers require newer CMTS (head end equipment in the cabinet, basically). VM are rolling out Arris and Cisco equipment to the cabs which provide 24 downstream channels (so far). It's this that allows the newer higher speed tiers. We got ours recently and it works great. Some areas have been more difficult to upgrade for various reasons, but they'll get sorted soon. Next year VM are rolling out DOCSIS 3.1 which is capable of multi-gigabit connection speeds. Not that they'll just jump from 350Mbps to 1Gbps (we can dream), but it's nice to know the capability is there for the near-ish future. :)

11. Trifid

Sgarrista

Virgin have just sent me a letter telling me my bill is going up 7.5%... Another inflation busting increasing, last year it was 9%... :/

12. RobK

Hitman

Anyone know what broadband trial Virgin are planning next? I got an email asking if I wanted to be part of it but it said you have to be a permanent Virgin Media employee, which I'm not. It also says you need to have the SH3 and something to do with a new protocol.

13. Steampunk

Mobster

If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with Docsis 3.1 they are supposedly rolling out next year. This has the potential for very high speeds, and VM's initial tests often go far above the commercially available speeds as a way of stress testing the network.

14. RobK

Hitman

It does sound like it might be that. Shame I can't even get cable at all where I live now, never mind getting on the trial!

15. Robzere31

Mobster

Not had mine yet although I'm expecting it. Contract is up in November but there's not really much of an alternative out there for the speeds I get with Virgin.

16. RobK

Hitman

I just noticed a link to a survey in the email and it says "IPv6 staff trial", so not quite as exciting as DOCSIS 3.1.

17. Psycho Sonny

Capodecina

i just got a dir 868L off the members market for £30 for a B1 revision that was brand new. amazon are selling the new C1 revision for £50 brand new.

anyway to the point. flash it with dd-wrt and it spanks most routers using official firmware. i've had to tweak a few settings but nothing major. i used online guides, etc. i now in wifi get 200MB download and 12MB upload with a 9ms ping over wifi upstairs at the other side of the house. i also get full speed over wifi on my phone in the bedroom above the room the router is in.

also the router isn't even in an ideal spot it's in a corner with 2 walls beside it.

basically get yourself a cheap router that is compatible with dd-wrt, dd-wrt turns a £50 router into a £200 one.

18. Trifid

Sgarrista

It has been suggested to me that I can sign up in someone else's name to get a nice new customer discount. Has anyone done this before? Were you without internet for long?

19. subbytna

Soldato

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to get some help as I'm not too au fait with the networking side of technology. I've got a basic virgin 50MB package with their standard router but the wireless speed from it is garbage. wired PC I'm getting 49.9 (basically full speed) wheras the wireless speed is around 4MB or 5MB.

I was thinking would another router work if I bought one and just binned or put their virgin router away? If so what is a router I can get that will work? £100 or less ideally.

Also is there any way to have my firestick on one band and perhaps put mobile phone wireless, laptop etc on another band so the tv streaming isn't buffering like a dog like it is just now. Would a new router improve my wireless speeds? Firestick hasn't an ethernet slot so I'm stuck with wireless.

Router is in my livingroom about 10 feet from the TV so distance isn't an issue.

20. Rainmaker

Soldato

First, do you really mean 4 or 5 MB (capitals) per second wifi? That actually is close to equivalent to 50Mb (lower case b). Which Virgin hub do you have? It will be printed on it somewhere, but a description and/or photo would help if not. Yes you can set the wireless into two separate bands.