1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ChrisD., Sep 23, 2008.

1. snappyfish

Hitman

UPDATE:

Put a cancellation request in for 30-day cut off.

5 days into cancellation had called every day but told them to busy to talk. Today had a chat.

Offered me

200mb BB
    Talk weekends phone
    Basic TV

£27 a month

2. Stu

Wise Guy

Nice deal

3. Mariusz

Wise Guy

Nice deal, but why couldn't they do that in the first place and save both parties time and effort... :rolleyes::confused:

4. Raggs

Hitman

virgin are pushing out a new firmware for the hub 3 anyone got it yet ? new version is 9.1.116.603, it seems promising regarding the latency issue according to some posts in WM gaming support section (the latency thread) much improved BMQ graphs adds a few more features to the wifi too

5. Radeon85

Wise Guy

They've also boosted my speed at 1am from 330 to 400 down as well, same 21 up though.

Downloading from steam at 47.4MB/s :D

I can also report a much better graph after 1am as it's been like this since the day I installed the SH3 over a year ago, the latency is still around the same on average of 15ms and even before this update I had no issues streaming at 18Mbps to YouTube and playing games like the Division at the same time.

It is nice to see this graph back to where the SH1 was.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. chroniclard

Soldato

Interesting, if everyone gets decent results with the update I might upgrade from my Sh2. :)

7. wam7

Wise Guy

Went to bed last night and noticed the green light was flashing on the SH3 (which is Modem Only mode). Logged into the router and saw this.

[​IMG]

Woke up this morning and check the BBQ meter and was greeted with this lovely sight.
    [​IMG]

It's been 2 years but FINALLY VirginMedia has released a firmware that fixes this long standing issue. I did not think this would get sorted till a SH4 so I'm pleasantly surprised.

8. Radeon85

Wise Guy

They certainly took their time, not that
    web browsing was slow before but pages do seem to be a little snappier at loading.

9. Glanza

Soldato

Can you tell which firmware version your hubs on in the settings? Will check if I've got the update when I get home.

10. Raggs

Hitman

yeah login to the hub it's under admin/info, still waiting for mine i guess it's being rolled out area by area

11. snow patrol

Mobster

i've just been put on the 350 meg package...lovely and fast. Getting a solid 30-35meg download speed on PS4 and pings in the low 20's so really no complaints.

I'm paying 57 a month for 350meg / 'large tv' (including all bt sport hd channels) and the phone line (which i never use.

12. brendy

Wise Guy

Getting all excited, our street was dug up and installed a few weeks ago, cabinets are in and yesterday saw a man sat at one on his wee stool terminating the cabling. Still think it is a couple of months away though before I can get away from BT.

13. martynbez

Gangster

I'm on the 350 package and didn't even know it happened. Seem to be hitting over 370Mbps as well. Could there be more of these "stealth" updates coming?

14. wam7

Wise Guy

If you have the SH3 in modem mode use 192.168.100.1 to log into the router instead of the normal 192.168.0.1 for router mode.

[​IMG]

The old software version was 9.1.116V the new one is 9.1.116.603

I have also noticed that some of the photo intensive sites that I frequent seem to be loading faster. Hopefully that is not just the psychosomatic side affect of finally getting rid of this bug. If I'd know it was coming I would done some stopwatch tests.

15. Steveocee

Mobster

Hope not. VM installs should be fibre to the home now so there isn't really anything to terminate in the cab. Maybe he was just installing headers or something?

16. brendy

Wise Guy

He was up to something anyway, freezing his knackers off! :D

17. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Gangster

vm is coax from the cabinet to your home

18. Steveocee

Mobster

Not on new installs for the past 6 months (minimum) it's not. They now lay fibre ducting and blow a pre-terminated fibre to your house. They then use a fibre to coax converter externally and deliver the last few feet by copper coax.

19. Caged

Capodecina

By "new install" you mean new area, rather than connecting a house. Copper coax is still used when connecting a property in a cabled area, and for in-fill when cabling new streets.

20. Stu

Wise Guy

Not looking any better for me... need to check if I've received the update.

[​IMG]