1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ChrisD., Sep 23, 2008.

1. nwatson6

Associate

Now using .603 on SH3 in modem mode and getting much better latency graphs, but internet does not feel any faster. Pages still sometimes take a while to load.

[​IMG]

2. utajoker

Capodecina

anyone moved house with virgin?

We should be moving out of our house in the next month or two and into a stop gap home for about 5 months then into our new permanent home once it is finished being built in december.

i've just looked on the virgin site quickly and it says you have to sign a new contract.

Is this a new new contract or just the same contract with a new address?

am, i going to have to pay extra because i'm moving twice in about 6 months?

3. Avalon

Mobster

Moving is free, you can take new customer offers and retentions deals, but it's a new contract period as the site says.

4. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Does anyone know if I reset the HUB3 will it remove any new firmware it has?

Im on .603 and I seem to have a new firmware getting pushed to the hub, but keeps failing so was going to try a reset to see if it can download successfully, but don't want to remove .603.

Thanks

5. brendy

Wise Guy

Once the firmware is on, thats it, it wont downgrade with a reset.

6. beachBOYken

Sgarrista

Thank's, I thought as much, just wanted to be certain.

7. Merlin5

Capodecina

I just arrived home 10 minutes ago just as a VM van happened to pull up and park outside my house, about to visit a property two doors away. I took the cheeky liberty of going and asking if I could borrow him for a minute to check my outside VM box to make sure the wires are all good since it had some cobwebs under the cover and I wanted to make sure it's all still solid. He was very friendly and obliging on this lovely sunny day and he shortened a black cable to tidy it up. Nice timing eh :)

8. booyaka

Capodecina

is there any way of updating the firmware on the SH3???

I've had horrendous issues with lag spikes/request time outs etc - not able to ping google/bbc.co.uk etc for the last week at times. Spoke to Virgin today and their only solution was an engineer visit - I know that's going to do nothing as the chap I spoke to had no clue what I was telling him. Internet is working ok but can't play any games at all online as they are constantly lagging out etc.

There is talk of upgrading the firmware etc

The packet drop is horrendous as well. Up to about a week ago I've had no issues at all.

9. Avalon

Mobster

Firmware is pushed to your device usually in a region by region schedule, you can trigger an update check by doing a reboot on the hub.

10. booyaka

Capodecina

ok thanks - been god awful the last week. hanging webpages, unable to play online games for lag etc - rebooted router a few times, reset my network etc etc.

Connection is there all the time but the packet loss etc is terrible.

I'm no expert in network stuff but surely I shouldn't be getting "Request timed out" to google dns etc??

[​IMG]

11. Steampunk

Mobster

You've probably got more than just SH3 issues and likely need the engineer visit to see if there's something going on between you and the cab.

12. booyaka

Capodecina

yeah - Wednesday engineer booked for......16 years with Sky/BT and zero issues/downtime etc - 9 months with Virgin and one 48 hour outage, another 3 hours last night and this nonsense......

13. mattyg

Soldato

Anyone know about the tv boxes especially multi room... Are they wired (Sky Q) or are they like sky Q...and Sky q Mini...

14. Mariusz

Wise Guy

@mattyg Just had Virgin installed on Thursday. I've got two V6 boxes and yes they are wired in, one in living room and one in bedroom. Engineer was happy to put cables where I wanted and leave a little slack to allow me to tidy up and hide the cables in trunking later.

15. mattyg

Soldato

@Mariusz Damn...Oh well... No chance of running extra cables. I'll have to watch BTSport in another room....lol

16. Scope

Hitman

Since upgrading from 200 to 350 I havent really seen anything above 260ish.. So I spent some time playing around today and can confirm for me, once changing the SH3 from modem mode into Router mode the download speed improved from 260 to 350+..

So, is the problem the SH3 and its modem mode? Or do I need to have a look at the router on the inside of the SH3?

I've got a Netgear R7000 running DD-WRT v3.0-r35550M kongac (03/28/18).

Are others on 350Mbps package getting full speed using modem mode?

17. Mariusz

Wise Guy

@Scope only had Virgin since Thursday so things could change but I've currently got the Hub 3 in router model and only syncing at approx;

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
    Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)

Speedtest via ethernet reports 280 down 20 up. I'm meant to be on the VIP bundle which includes 350Mbps Internet. Going to setup a sff pc with Pfsense and try the hub in modem mode.

18. Jon20

Hitman

Those aren’t sync rates, there just the channel that the Hub locks on to during initial ranging, at start up, before locking on to the rest of the channels. The config will be in “Router status”.

19. booyaka

Capodecina

So again after a shocking few days of packet loss/lag/unable to play online without losing connections etc - yesterday was great......hardly any packet loss etc.

Then today again....loads.....

so frustrating - nothing has changed at all

[​IMG]

20. Caged

Capodecina

Timeouts along the path are nothing to be concerned about