Virgin V6 box hdmi cable.

Soldato
Think I know the answer to this but to connect my v6 box to the TV I can just use any HDMI cable? Only reason I ask is that there is a weird tag on the cable it came with that says HDMI plus ethernet. Bit weird. Don't need the ethernet anyway as my TV has WiFi. Any hdmi cable OK for 4k?

Man of Honour
HDMI cables come in a variety of different flavours. HDMI + Ethernet was an idea about sharing network connections via the HDMI port. It never took off, or hasn't yet at least, but there are still cables around with the wiring in place in case it ever does. These are fine for standard and for high-speed HDMI connections.

The hoo-har about HDMI cable for this or that standard is really because the certifying body hasn't got good control over all the manufacturers tipping out cables from the Chinese factories.

The theory is that samples from each cable variant should be tested to ensure compliance. In practise though this doesn't happen. Cables are made and sold that have never seen the inside of a testing lab. Others are tested and compliant at shorter lengths, but the longer ones haven't been tested even though they carry a logo. The other trick is for a firm to have its cables tested, but then after a while move to a cheaper cable source; so you have Hokey-cokey 123X cable packaging, and what looks like the same cable as the original, but with different and untested ingredients. It's a big old mess.

Chances are that whatever is coming in UHD 4K from your Virgin box won't be stretching the upper limits of the UHD 4K performance window. You're probably going to find that for a short cable length between the box under the telly and the TV above it then a simple High Speed cable is fine.
If not, then change to a Premium Certified cable, but don't spend money until you know for sure.

Man of Honour
I just need 1m to extend the 1m that is already there. Hmm, don't want to spend more than I need to. Can you suggest?

Yes. Don't use joiners to extend HDMI cables at very high resolutions. Go for a single length 2m cable rather that two short 1m cables + joiner.

As for the cable, look online and go for a HDMI 2.0 High-Speed cable. Plenty of them under £10.

Back
Top Bottom