Visibility in modern cars

Soldato
How do others feel about driver visibility in modern cars?

I feel it is shocking!

A friend of mine who has been driving an 17 year old Corsa recently decided to look for a new car

She was happy with the Corsa and had had it since 2 years old, and it was generally in good condition too but had got to the stage where she would have had to either spend a grand and keep it another couple of years or replace it.

Anyway, she got a real shock driving the modern equivalents (Corsa/Ka/etc)

At the first junction, she came up (more or less) to the line and exclaimed "I cant see, how can I pull out??"!

Massive "A" pillars like a set of blinkers on a Horse! :eek:

The cars are also quite a bit bigger and she cant see where the front, rear (or even sides) of the car ends. Poor visibility from rear and rear side windows too (Almost like driving a small van).

I was having to explain that they are all like that nowadays, that and how many of the smaller cars are also going over to 3 cylinder engines which may tick all the green boxes but they sound like demented lawnmowers and dont seem to have any useful torque below 2500RPM, thus requiring a very different driving style than she was used too. I would think a long journey in a 3Cyl would be a bit wearing.

Anyway, the best of the lot, for her, seemed to be a Ka+ with the older design 1.2 4cyl engine. She seems to be getting the hang of it and hasnt bashed it yet.

But I had my own "Cant See" moment in a late model A class merc. Again, same.

Massive A pillars, a very high "Waist" level on the side windows and rear side windows like portholes and a letterbox for the rear window!.

Add to that not having any visual clue where the front, rear and sides of the car actually extend too, unsurprisingly the owners wife had scraped it on the gateposts on both sides within a fortnight of buying the car.

You can joke about women drivers all you like but she had my sympathy.

One wonders if engineering cars to be safer is countered by an increased risk of actually having accidents

(Especially the side visibility at junctions thing. I would have thought that many modern cars are going to be SMIDSY/T-Bone magnets for people trying to exit side-roads! :confused:)

Soldato
it depends on the car but usually I just move my head if apilar is blocking something and see around.

it's not rocket science, its not great but I don't find it too much of a pain and apilars on my lexus are fat.

Soldato
I have to agree with this - I have a job judging my Focus when parking - I can pull up to car in front and think that's it 6" - get out and it's more like 2ft - I now rely on parking sensors front and back - I also have my seat up as high as it goes or I feel like I am in a tank - Fortunately it's a older Focus so it's not like looking through gun slits all round.

I am not that into cars so haven't sat in a post 2010 car so have no idea what latest ones are like but I am sure I would feel enclosed in.

Soldato
OP
it depends on the car but usually I just move my head if apilar is blocking something and see around.

Dont forget, Girls are not quite as tall in the main. This makes a big difference, especially with regards to things like the waist height of the side windows. Add in shorter legs and the visibility position is likely to be very different between Men and Women.

A pillar issues can also affect older vehicles too.

The nearest I think I ever came to hitting a pedestrian was making a right turn into a side road. I was going very slowly, but at the last minute I became of somebody jumping out of the way almost in front of the driving position.

How could I have missed him?

Well, my conclusion was the the sweep of the right hand A pillar exactly matched the pedestrian crossing the road so hid him, dynamically, during the entire maneuver!

An unusual set of circumstances, but one that I am sure happens from time to time. And even moving your head from side to side would not eliminate the possibility completely.

Soldato
Dont forget, Girls are not quite as tall in the main. This makes a big difference, especially with regards to things like the waist height of the side windows. Add in shorter legs and the visibility position is likely to be very different between Men and Women.

The nearest I think I ever came to hitting a pedestrian was making a right turn into a side road. I was going very slowly, but at the last minute I became of somebody jumping out of the way almost in front of the driving position.

Well, my conclusion was the the sweep of the right hand A pillar exactly matched the pedestrian crossing the road so hid him, dynamically, during the entire maneuver!

An unusual set of circumstances, but one that I am sure happens from time to time. And even moving your head from side to side would not eliminate the possibility completely.

I'm a very average size man.. and I do like my seat low down :)

I know what you mean about pedestrians, I've had the exact thing in a shopping car park.. literally did not see one walking until my girlfriend screamed at me.

it is a problem but I think it's a problem we need to deal with.. sadly some manufacturers prioritise design v visiblity.

like you can see in many modern coupes, hatches, crosssuvs

Soldato
Definitely, so much easier to see out of my old Mk1 Focus compared to the Mk5 Mondeo. It makes things like parking sensors so much more of a useful feature.

Soldato

The same/similar thing happened to me too, in my 3 series, quite a tight right turn approach to my local supermarket where right in the middle of the curve is a zebra crossing. As I drove up I somehow missed the lady who was walking on the right hand pavement as the A pillar completely blanked her out and carried on blanking her out as I approached the zebra crossing. My wife then piped up to stop, I was going quite slowly anyway but as I stopped the lady came into view.

Man of Honour
Yes much worse nowadays. I assume it was done to improve general crash safety (bigger pillars, better impact protection, etc).

Soldato
Rear visibility is especially bad on modern cars. I think the MX-5 had the best visibility out of any car I've owned.

I had a similar one with a biker, he was completely obscured by the A-pillar as I moved my head round to see behind it. Luckily I hadn't pulled away before he crossed the front of me.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The same/similar thing happened to me too, in my 3 series, quite a tight right turn approach to my local supermarket where right in the middle of the curve is a zebra crossing. As I drove up I somehow missed the lady who was walking on the right hand pavement as the A pillar completely blanked her out and carried on blanking her out as I approached the zebra crossing. My wife then piped up to stop, I was going quite slowly anyway but as I stopped the lady came into view.

I had something similar in my 6 series except it was an entire car. Daft mare was only driving with sidelights on rather than full at night so just couldn't see her at all.

Soldato
I have to agree with this - I have a job judging my Focus when parking - I can pull up to car in front and think that's it 6" - get out and it's more like 2ft - I now rely on parking sensors front and back - I also have my seat up as high as it goes or I feel like I am in a tank - Fortunately it's a older Focus so it's not like looking through gun slits all round.

I am not that into cars so haven't sat in a post 2010 car so have no idea what latest ones are like but I am sure I would feel enclosed in.

Little tip for gauging the front, look at where the wing mirror joins the bodywork. If that's on the line/wall/whatever you're trying to park against then you'll be about 6" away. Try it :)
Rear-wise, I just tell myself that the base of the rear window (hatchbacks/estate) is the back of my car and give myself a bit of extra space, with saloons I can generally see the end of the boot line and assume the same thing. Yet to reverse into anything.

OP, hugely agree, visibility is crap - with high waistlines and massive A/B/C pillars becoming the norm. Its why I love my old Volvo estate so much. It isn't particularly surprising though, given the way the general public is determined to do as little driving as possible with as much assistance as financially viable.

Associate
Been driving my parents Evoque recently and Ive noticed the A pillar visibility is absolutely horrendous. Was much better in the X5 and X6 they used to have.

Soldato
It seems that manufacturers want to ensure safety in case of side impact by adding protection with sturdiness and airbags, but in doing so decrease visibility by adding bulk, which leads to the fact that drivers can't see, which leads to possible impact... Kinda ironic.

Back
Top Bottom