Visible evidence of increasing number of earth quakes.

Soldato
http://www.wolframalpha.com/tour/what-is-wolframalpha.html

Wolfram|Alpha introduces a fundamentally new way to get knowledge and answers—
not by searching the web, but by doing dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods.

I have asked it

earthquakes >6.5 since jan 2000

24xgz05.jpg

Now why is this anyone care to suggest a reason?

Last edited:
Don
2012 isn't it?

Edit: If you ask since 1950 you'll see that between about 1980ish and 2005ish there was very few earthquakes compared to prior and after.

Edit: Go back to 1900 and it seems that 1980-2005 was very quiet for earthquakes.

Man of Honour
Because it probably goes in cycles and there's a theory which seems to hold true that earthquakes leads to earth quakes as the first earthquake builds up stress in the plates hundreds even thousands of miles away.

I like how you don't say what you think and more than likely jump to armageddon conclusions.

Associate
I quite like my graph which shows all Earthquakes from 1900 > 6.5

Interestingly it shows a massive lull between 1975 and 2001. What it does seems to show is that since then the amount of > 6.5 Earthquakes have returned to normal.

Doubly beaten /doh.

Soldato
Theres some pretty vague (read: not widely accepted yet, and not very well understood) theory that links earthquakes to sun spot cycles and the positions of the planets.

Something like changes in solar activity causes instabilities in the magnetic field of the earth, which in turn changes the core of the earth slightly, which can cause earthquakes. The position of the moon and Jupiter have some effect due to their gravitational pull as well.
The weather action blog predicts them occasional using this theory.

At the end of the day however, we know very very little about what is beneath our feet, and accepted theory is changed very rapidly (the geophysics module on my uni course has a major syllabus change every few years for instance.) So no one really knows what is happening :)

Soldato
The data on that site seems to conflict with wikipedia. According to the wolfram site the only > 9.0 earthquake since 1900 is the recent Japanese one.