Vista not seeing all 8 cores

Associate
Latest issue with my new computer is that it would apear not all 8 cores are recognised. I went into my bios which recognised that both cpu slots were active, so thought that would be ok.

I downloaded a program to keep an eye on my temps but unlike at work it only sees 4cores, 1cpu which got me worried. I then went into my task manager which my mate said would show 8 graphs under cpu usage when it only shows 4.

So i'm assuming that although the bios reads 8 cores, windows only sees 4. Anyone any ideas as to how to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Its for 3D rendering so 8 cores was essential and the skulltrail came recomended. The shop bought workstation i got a quotes for which was a slightly lesser spec came in at £3200 and £4500 so £2000 on my build was a bargain really.

Don
i stand corrected !

thought you were one of those 'my dad said i can spend £3000 on a pc, so i bought all this stuff' kids :p

awesome machine you've got, have read your other posts :)

if you're happy with how vista works (i'm sure it really flies on that), then get Vista 64 business

ultimate just has naff extras and media centre (you don't really want this on a production machine), i use Vista business on my gaming machine (has remote desktop built in..)

Associate
OP
lol np bud and cheers for the advice.

The computers is essentially becasue my one at work is a top end 8 core machine and going from that to my old dual core meant that i couldnt realistically do any work from home it just drove you up the wall. Idea is with this computer i'll be working from home and fingers crossed may even get to a stage to go freelance and earn some money from it. So wanted something that would stand the test of time (well as much as you can from a computer anyway)

But alas, no, not the spoiled brat :)

Associate
OP
Just been looking on the windows anytime upgrade page, it costs more for me to upgrade to ultimate than it does to buy ultimate outright. Strange. Didnt see an upgrade for business.

Don
the business oem 64 licence is about £70 i think, i'd just buy that

is it a retail or oem copy of windows you've got now? if it's retail, pretty sure you can sell it on

if it's oem, and you've NOT activated, you could get away with selling it on

Caporegime
Just been looking on the windows anytime upgrade page, it costs more for me to upgrade to ultimate than it does to buy ultimate outright. Strange. Didnt see an upgrade for business.

different 'tree'

XP Home -> Home Basic -> Home Premium -> Ultimate

XP Pro/64 -> Business -> Enterprise -> Ultimate

Associate
OP
Unfortunately it is OEM and it activated last night. I was thinking i would use it in my old mans new computer as he will be after one fairly soon. Didnt realise you cant use it a second time, thats a bummer.

Muffin this is the spec:
Intel D5400XS "Skulltrail" Intel 5400 eATX (Socket 771) PCI-Express FBDIMM DDR2
2 x Intel Xeon E5420 "LGA771 Harpertown" 2.50GHz (1333fsb) 12mb-cache Processor -
BFB GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) – Retail
8GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
1200W PSU (cant remember the spec)
Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200S 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
2 x Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ)
Lian Li PC-A71B Aluminium Tower Case – Black
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Sound Card - OEM (30SB046000000)
Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System (980-000116)
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I do 3D visualisation, mainly architectural renderings but do other stuff too although mainly just for fun.

Caporegime
A Quadro/FireGL would be better suited to the job then an 880GTS

GTS = gaming/max fps
Quadro/firegl = driver precision over FPS

Quadro have some 'special' drivers for Autodesk's CAD from 2008 onwards, not had a chance to bench or compare quality as over yet over 2006/2007. Navisworks might also take advantage of this now Autodesk own them. Depends on what software you use but the Workstation cards are far superior for the job at hand, and aren’t too shabby in games either :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah i read about that though went with an 8800 so i could also get some gaming in on the side. No one i spoke to used the quadros so i couldnt really get any feedback as to if they could handle game at all.

Back
Top Bottom