Vista sleep mode woes.

Associate
Hi, sometimes when I go to shut down my computer I accidentally click on sleep. The problem is that once it goes into sleep I can't get out of it no matter what I try, the only way to get out of it is to hold down the power button until the system turns off, which isn't good for the computer.

Any suggestions?

What mobo have you got? I had this with a Gigabyte board, suspending would work but when you woke it back up the fans spun at full pelt and nothing else happened. Never sorted it in the end, but I'd love to know what caused it. Think it was software as it didn't do it after a fresh install.

Associate
OP
Asus p5q-e, I'd usually just live with it because I hardly ever did it, but that's twice in the last few days and it's really starting to annoy me.

Soldato
if you go into the advanced power options in control panel, you can change the icon on the start menu to shut down instead of sleep by default. that should stop you putting it to sleep accidentally. :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Which service pack are you using? I believe SP1/2 fixed some sleep problems.

Also try updating all of your drivers (video, sound, chipset etc) as they tend to cause sleep problems. Don't suppose you have any Hauppauge cards do you? They gave me problems.

Soldato
I never use anything other than sleep as it makes computing a breeze - I love 5 second boot times and the power consumption is next to nothing. If your PC has a problem with waking up after Vista Sleep then check power settings in BIOS as that's the usual problem - I have had the same issue on my older PC but altering BIOS setting cured it.

Associate
For some reason, ever since I installed Vista SP2, I loose my usb keyboard and mouse when resuming from sleep by using the power button. Can't do anything, so have to push the reset button.

Caporegime
I had this with a Gigabyte system. I never solved it so in the end, I gave up and moved to Windows 7. Sleep mode now works perfectly with exactly the same hardware so I guess there was a driver conflict or issue somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom