Vista unable to recognize 1Tb Samsung in an Antec MX100

Associate
Hey all!

In a bit of a storage pickle I could use some advice on.

Essentially, placed everything I wanted to keep from my desktop onto a blank 1tb HD inside it, then took it out and assembled it into my new MX100 enclosure. However, when I try the device on either my laptop or the original desktop, while recognizing I have plugged in a USB Mass storage device, I cannot see any drives in My Computer. :confused:

Any ideas? :(

Ta for all posts :)

Soldato
Oh, in that case I have no idea, I assumed you meant you had a new hdd and put in into your system while it had nothing on it, and forgot you need to make a partition...

What does disk manager say anyways ? Does the hdd show as unassigned space or not at all ?
I assume the hdd is in the list in the device manager ?

Associate
yes, go to disk manager (right click my computer, select manage, go to disk management)
you'll see the new drive but it isn't assigned a drive letter, right click and assign a drive letter and it'll show up. Don't format it!!

Man of Honour
Was the drive formatted as a dynamic disk under XP? If so you're in trouble - a) only Vista Business or Ultimate support dynamic disks at all and b) you can't use a dynamic disk as an external device under any version of Vista.

Associate
OP
Was the drive formatted as a dynamic disk under XP? If so you're in trouble - a) only Vista Business or Ultimate support dynamic disks at all and b) you can't use a dynamic disk as an external device under any version of Vista.

This.

It states it's a dynamic disc and as a result the drive's 'invalid'. There is a 'covert to basic' button but I can't be sure if it'll format it or not.

I'm guessing my best bet is to put everything back on to my desktop, format the drive as a basic disc then load everything back on again? :(

Bad times.

Back
Top Bottom