Vista, Wireless & DLink NAS

Associate
Hi All

Having a small problem with my Network Attached Storage, think I kinda know what it is but, would like someone else to offer an opinion and if I am looking in the correct place.

I have My Desktop Vista Ultimate PC connected to Netgear DG834G with a cable. Also connected to the DG834G is a D-Link DSM-G600 Network storage enclosure that is also connected with a cable. (the DSM-G600 is also wireless enabled but that is disabled)

Connecting Wirelessly, is my Dell Inspiron 6400 Centrino Duo Laptop with Vista Ultimate also running on the machine.

When all machines on the network were running Windows XP (my old 9300 Dell and Old desktop machine) then sharing the network attached drive as a mapped drive worked fine. When I upgraded the desktop, and installed vista there was one or two teething problems connecting to the drive for the first few days but since then it worked flawlessly.

The old dell XP laptop was also connecting fine at this stage.

Having purchased the new Dell Laptop, I then connected it up. This is where the problems start.

The Computer connects to the DG834G no problem, the network is fine and traffic is transmitting between the devices no problem. Internet is fast and there are no disconnections.

However, when I connect to the NAS, I will get a few moments of operation, then when a folder is opened in explorer or other "Open..." box, the explorer windows will "freeze" any further manipulation ie clicking elsewhere in the window will cause "Not responding", if I wait the freeze out then it will come back to life and start working again. The wait can sometimes be a few minutes. Checking the wireless activity lights and the lights on the NAS. It would appear in this freeze time there is no network activity. When the machine is connected with a cable, to the router and not wirelessly then the operation functions normally.

I contacted Microsoft and obtained this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770/en-us hotfix, thinking that it might be related as the fault it describes also has been happening, this has now cured that problem but not the freezing of the explorer window.

I'm kinda thinking that its either a power management issue or some kind of issue with the Intel 3945ABG network card driver. As Vista controls all the wireless function and Power management (including power save polling) then its difficult trying to nail the problem down.

Any suggestions or if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, please let me know, as always any help is appreciated! - I have tried a few other basic things but this post is long enough as it is!

Thanks

Shunts...

Back
Top Bottom