1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Woes

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Mp4, 6 Jul 2011.

1. Mp4

Sgarrista

A friend has managed to get windows vista in a reset loop after updating to the latest patch on windows update.

I've tried system restore/repair which is a no go as it still resets :/ the only other thing I can think of is to use Win7 to try and upgrade the system files and potentially put win7 on the system.

The only thing is i need to save all files/programs as she is an accountant :o

is it possible to do so? I take it their is an option to upgrade vista other than format?

Last edited: 6 Jul 2011
  2. Ice On Fire

Capodecina

Have you tried booting up in safe mode?

3. Mp4

Sgarrista

Yup still does the same just resets no idea what Microsoft have done or she. But its totally not letting me do much! which is odd.

4. Ice On Fire

Capodecina

Which version of Vista is it?
    Secondly, I think you can upgrade and keep her files - however the programs that she uses would need to be re installed.

5. Mp4

Sgarrista

Vista Home premium edition - Its a laptop btw also tried to do the (repair) function via the manufacture reset but again no luck!

So imo think its either try and upgrade and get some loss or format and loose everything :( which is a no go really

6. edscdk

Soldato

reinstall without format puts windows, users, program files, into a folder called windows.old no data loss - i do it all the time

7. Mp4

Sgarrista

Ah right! Thanks edscdk, So once all the data is taken from win.old folder you can then delete the .old? for more disk space or does windows need this?