VNT turbo flutters when letting off the throttle

Associate
so i have a 2008 ford focus 1.6 TDCI engine, and for some reason im getting insane turbo flutter, its been happening for a while now and im no closer to figuring out whats causing it, the reason im posting is because sometimes it will flutter like in the video but sometimes it will not flutter at all, just a whoosing sound, 2nd clip ive checked the actuator and its not seized, ive checked the vacuum line and there is no blockages or amy kinks, thanks for any replies in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xucGT1FVcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYRcxCigMw

Soldato
Could be the boost control solenoid or the blow off valve getting stuck closed sometimes. Aftermarket blow off valves have a spring adjuster, could be your stock spring is having issues.

Soldato
Sounds like the recirculating valve is faulty.

Wooosh will be when it opens.
Flutter when it fails to open hence the back pressure on the turbo.

Made loud due to cone filter.

Soldato
Yeap, sticking DV is almost certainly the issue I'd say.

The fluttering sound is the pressurised air between the engine and turbo trying to escape once you lift off stopping it going into the engine. Normally it would escape via the DV but if that's not working then the only escape is back through the cold side of the turbo (the compressor) which is already spinning in one direction and gets hit by this compressed air coming back from the engine, forcing the blades to spin in the opposite direction and that change in direction causes the fluttering sound as the air gets all chopped up.

Its extremely unhealthy to the overall life span of the turbo so really needs looking at.

Soldato
I'm not overly familiar with that engine in particular but I'd be surprised if it has a recirculating valve at all (or atmospheric dump valve, which certainly wouldn't be OEM).

Many diesels simply don't have throttle body – or at least not one that's used in a conventional fashion, and it might just be dubbed a flap or valve – so there's no need to recirculate or dump the pressurised charge in the intake, because it can always enter the engine.

I must admit that I'm not sure about modern diesels with throttle-style assemblies designed to aid with emissions controls or runaway conditions, among other things, but I'd imagine a recirculating valve is probably uncalled for there, too. For the most part, the only reason most petrol-engined turbocharged cars have them is due to noise reasons – and perhaps a handful of longevity-related considerations, IMO.

The reason you're hearing it prominently is because of your cone filter. The factory airbox would muffle most of that noise, if not all. In your clips, I think the engine is actually under slightly more load and building a bit more boost in the first, hence it being prominent. At the very end of your second clip, there is a momentary chatter. It'll vary with engine, load and ambient conditions, as an aside, so it'll sometimes do it, sometimes not.

And, after a quick search, that TDCI does appear to have a throttle body of sorts, which presumably is used for EGR-related functions – so it might be that you're hearing it in the instances that the blade is partially closed to aid EGR flow, which would trap a bit of pressure in the intake, exacerbating that chatter. Might explain why it comes and goes.

That might not be the case, of course, but did just cross my mind after I actually thought about it for a moment... No doubt someone more informed will be able to fill us in on the details, as it's not something I'd ever really considered. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, provided it's otherwise driving fine and not showing any signs of distress. Put the factory airbox back on and see what it does, if you're curious. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Diesels don't generally have dump valves (recirculating valve on anything modern with metered air intake).

It's most likely due to how the throttle valve works, it's controlled by the ecu and not directly linked to the throttle pedal as the ecu will control it depending on conditions. The throttle valve is more there to help with smooth running as diesels are purely fuel controlled.

You're most likely getting the flutter from the fact this throttle valve is closing under certain conditions and the air from the turbo has nowhere to go but back out the turbo. Other times the valve may close slower or not close fully allowing any pressure to bleed off.

It's not something you'd normally hear but having a cone filter changes that. It won't cause any damage and its pretty normal.

Associate
OP
Sounds like the recirculating valve is faulty.

Wooosh will be when it opens.
Flutter when it fails to open hence the back pressure on the turbo.

Made loud due to cone filter.
i dont quite understand how the EGR would cause turbo flutter as the EGR entry point is in front of the throttle valve, from my understanding the flutter would be created when the air is trapped between the throttle valve and the turbo ?
https://i.imgur.com/GR76iNM.png

Associate
so i have a 2008 ford focus 1.6 TDCI engine, and for some reason im getting insane turbo flutter, its been happening for a while now and im no closer to figuring out whats causing it, the reason im posting is because sometimes it will flutter like in the video but sometimes it will not flutter at all, just a whoosing sound, 2nd clip ive checked the actuator and its not seized, ive checked the vacuum line and there is no blockages or amy kinks, thanks for any replies in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xucGT1FVcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYYRcxCigMw
that actuator might not be sized but it’s known for the solder joints in the actuator electronics to fail.

Soldato
i dont quite understand how the EGR would cause turbo flutter as the EGR entry point is in front of the throttle valve, from my understanding the flutter would be created when the air is trapped between the throttle valve and the turbo ?
https://i.imgur.com/GR76iNM.png
If I meant The EGR I'd have said the Exhaust Gas recirculating valve.

I presumed it had a Intercooler side Recirculating valve to offload air pressure when off boost.

Back
Top Bottom