Vodafone Gigacube unlimited 5G 50 quid a month

Caporegime
If you're in an apartment then it shouldn't take too much work for Hyperoptic to be interested in cabling you up.

Soldato
OP
One person said apparently there is NAT issues? Also, we can't get any fibre broadband, just 6Mb broadband, tried for years to get it into the building but the building owners won't allow any company in without paying huge fees which they won't do.

Soldato
OP
I've got a Gigacube, been testing it out.

Initially I was getting 197Mbit but then I stupidly moved the router and can't replicate this speed any longer, currently getting about 50-80Mbit. However the upload speeds are really slow like 1.5mbit and the ping is around 16ms is that bad?

The router has the option to add antennas but not sure if they'll make a difference?

Soldato
OP
Could you elaborate? What kind of issues did you have?

I threw my teddy out of my cot, I may take it back, but the performance is not consistent, I've wrote a message to vodaphone, here is the message, it's longish, I haven't proof read it, it may have spelling mistakes.

So I had a problem (can you check previous chats?), he said in 2 hours it'll be fixed from then, indeed it was, speeds were 120Mbit as before we only were getting 20mbit as in 4G seemed to be on only even thought the light said 5G, anyway in the morning, it was still 120mbit, BUT the 5G light was off, and no 5G signal in the router app, so I thought.. ok, restart the route and all will be fine, 5G back on BUT... down to 20mbit again.. now the issue is, everytime I reboot the Gigacube (which I'd have to do to move the route to the optimum position and test), the speed is rubbish, like 20mbit again which seems likelt to be 4G rather than 5G. It takes a good hour or so it seems for the speed to improve to be getting 100-280mbit, issue is, this is too long, far too long to effectively test each position when I move the router.

Even now, where I think perhaps it's connected to 5G, the speeds are less than desirable, 40-50mbit, which is slower than 4G speeds i was told in store, I do worry when this 5G catches on and the network starts to get more saturated speeds may take a further nose dive.

I'm slightly more concerned than I would be if the price was lower, but for £50 a month 50-60Mbit broadband isn't acceptable and I feel there must still be an issue with the service or my account where reliability just isn't there yet and I do hope to get this fixed, I'm in the 14 day cancellation period and I want to ensure the router is working reliably with a good connection before this ends as if this continues I can't justify £50 a month for the current speeds - yesterday when it was at 100-280 it was excellent, I downloaded a game from the MS store in an hour or so, but the performance isn't consistent enough.

Soldato
OP
Okay seems like my phone was having issues, after using speedtest on the laptop or desktop wired I'm getting around 90mbit minimum, it can sometimes be as high as 280 but that's not often. So is 50 quid a month worth it for perhaps on average 80 to 90 mb broadband ?

Apparently 80mbit FTTC is coming but that's "up to 80mbit ", no timescale really apart from its "coming soon".

No sign of anything like virgin media or gigabit.

Should I stick with the gigacube, will more uptake of 5g saturate the network and lower speeds over time?

Should I take it back, ride it out on ultra slow up to 7mbit with BT in the gamble FTTC may be soon but as above "up to 80mbit"

My upload speeds are around 7mbit with the gigacube, 1 to 2mbit with BT

Soldato
Okay seems like my phone was having issues, after using speedtest on the laptop or desktop wired I'm getting around 90mbit minimum, it can sometimes be as high as 280 but that's not often. So is 50 quid a month worth it for perhaps on average 80 to 90 mb broadband ?

Apparently 80mbit FTTC is coming but that's "up to 80mbit ", no timescale really apart from its "coming soon".

No sign of anything like virgin media or gigabit.

Should I stick with the gigacube, will more uptake of 5g saturate the network and lower speeds over time?

Should I take it back, ride it out on ultra slow up to 7mbit with BT in the gamble FTTC may be soon but as above "up to 80mbit"

My upload speeds are around 7mbit with the gigacube, 1 to 2mbit with BT
5g is in its infancy so I would expect things to only improve and not get worse for a while but on the other hand £50 a month is quite steep.
If I were you I would buy a cheap 4g router (possibly second hand) along with smarty's 4g unlimited sim, no contract for £19 a month until FTTC comes to your building.

Soldato
What sort of speeds would I get? They say very good service for 4G.
I get 75 down 35 up but I live in the city. You can test it on a 4g phone and also get one of the LTE signal strength measuring apps. Signal strength can vary a lot in different locations of your home.

Soldato
OP
I get 75 down 35 up but I live in the city. You can test it on a 4g phone and also get one of the LTE signal strength measuring apps. Signal strength can vary a lot in different locations of your home.

I'm with O2 and I get between 10-20 on my phone, my GF used to be on Three and the coverage was crap in the flat, and Vodaphone she is on is reliable.

Never tried EE in the flat though.

Man of Honour
4G or 5G I suspect it will be a long time until things stabilise all through the day - I currently see upto 40Mbit down (usually around 30) and upto 15Mbit up (usually around 10) most of the day but at times like now it has dropped to 10 down, 4 up, etc. though 5 minutes later it might go back to 30 down 10 up.

Back
Top Bottom