Vodafone gigafast and Draytek 2860 router

Soldato
Vodafone have been and installed gigafast. Yay!
Vodafone’s router has not arrived. Boo!

How do I configure my Draytek router to work with Vodafone’s fibre network? I have the username and password for PPTP and that hasn’t worked. I’ve tried a VLAN tag of 911 as suggested by the internet. That hasn’t worked on either incoming connection or outgoing. The connection between the Draytek and the Vodafone bridge is a known good cable and the Draytek web server says that the link is electrically good.

All four lights on Vodafone’s fibre bridge are lit, so there should be a working link.
What do I need to do to get it to work?

Soldato
why you going from vodafone hub to the draytek for? when you replace the router your supposed to go direct from ONT to your new router. cut the middle man out.

Soldato
Isn't Gigafast 802.1Q/QinQ?
In which case, and if memory serves me, you need to set the 911 VLAN tag (if that is correct; serviced areas may differ) on the 'Service' rather than 'Customer' (under WAN > General Settings > WAN1 WAN2).

Because I do not have the Vodafone router. It hasn’t arrived.

Might be worth waiting until it does just to make sure the service is fully active and working correctly before using a different router/setup.

Then I need to replace it. Suggestions?

(A variant of) Draytek 2865 or 2927 should as long as hardware acceleration is enabled (~1300Mbps); without it, then max throughput is ~800Mbps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In which case, and if memory serves me, you need to set the 911 VLAN tag (if that is correct; serviced areas may differ) on the 'Service' rather than 'Customer' (under WAN > General Settings > WAN1).

I’ve tried all three options.

Might be worth waiting until it does just to make sure the service is fully active and working correctly before using a different router/setup.

I’m impatient and the lights on the fibre optic bridge indicate it’s live.

Soldato
Isn't Gigafast 802.1Q/QinQ?
In which case, and if memory serves me, you need to set the 911 VLAN tag (if that is correct; serviced areas may differ) on the 'Service' rather than 'Customer' (under WAN > General Settings > WAN1).

I have 'Use Service Tag' set to off on MikroTik and it works fine.
I don't know all the technicalities behind VLAN tagging, but I read this on the internet so based on this and the setting I have it on which is working it looks like it's on the 'Customer' side:

"use-service-tag actually means "use the "service" (802.1ad) ethertype (0x88a8) in the VLAN tag rather than the "customer" (802.1Q) ethertype (0x8100)"."

Soldato
I would recommend the hAP ac2, it should be able to handle 940/940 easily. https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2#fndtn-testresults

Don't expect much more than 300Mbps~ on the WiFi side of things.

In my case I was already running Proxmox, so I just installed 'Mikrotik's CHR RouterOS' in a VM.
But I would recommend just getting a router for a new setup, there's a bit of a learning curve with MikroTik but once it works, it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nop no need to switch since voda hub does port forwarding and wifi works good too. If you got complex office setup to do then i can see the need for changing it. But for the average user its sufficient.

Soldato
Yeah, the THG3000 was fine for me for the first ~ 6 months, then the web interface suddenly started to get really slow & laggy...
To the point where it was quite literally taking 3-4mins for each page to load on the interface & at which point it'd log me out for being inactive which was very frustrating.

I'm guessing my case was a one off where I might've had the bug introduced from a firmware update, I can't remember it being super snappy either though :rolleyes:
Generally, it does what you need, unless you need some sort of extra features which you might not get from a standalone ISP provided router.

Soldato
i dont know if my interface is laggy, once i set it up i dont go back into it. its wifi speed is good though. also i got sent a add on from vodafone, its an extra smaller hub i think its a wifi expander mesh thingy. not used it though

Soldato
I’ve tried all three options.

There was a mistake, it should be WAN2 and not WAN1 as you're connecting the ONT to the WAN2 (ethernet) port on the 2860 (there's only two VLAN tag options on the WAN2 interface).
https://imgur.com/a/aIpYfm8 - these settings were grabbed from tech notes in the office from testing on a lesser service and on older firmware (3.8.9.7; latest for the 2860 is 3.9.1 i believe).
Worth doing an update if you are on the latest firmware and a complete factory reset.
The tech testing left a while back so i can't ask if they had to do anything "funky" or get Voda to do anything outside of what's in the notes, so the above may help but may not unfortunately.

Edit - As mentioned though, the 2860 won't get you 900Mbps line speed so you'll need to shift to something else if you wanted to stick with an aftermarket router.

Back
Top Bottom