Vodafone 'removes' broadband line rental charges

Soldato
Mobile-phone giant Vodafone claims it is scrapping line rental charges for new and upgrading home broadband customers in the UK.

The move means customers will not be billed the current £18 ($23) monthly charge but only if they commit to an 18-month contract.

They will still get a landline connection and phone number, the firm said. Prices will start at £22 a month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37021766

Well while it may not be perfect, its a start! I'll look forward to further changes with other providers. I appreciate there are comments around 'Merge' but I see this as a good move!

Soldato
Meh, I don't mind paying for line rental, you're using it 24/7!

Even better if you don't pay it.

Line rental has always been a pet hate for me. Just role it in with the price and stop making the deal look good till you go through buying it.

Soldato
Even better if you don't pay it.

Line rental has always been a pet hate for me. Just role it in with the price and stop making the deal look good till you go through buying it.

I believe that OFCOM have said that from later this year that's what must be quoted.

I.e instead of £19 line rental and £10 broadband etc - it must be quoted as £29 a month for broadband as you can't get b/band without the line.

Associate
I believe that OFCOM have said that from later this year that's what must be quoted.

I.e instead of £19 line rental and £10 broadband etc - it must be quoted as £29 a month for broadband as you can't get b/band without the line.

It's the ASA changing their approach on what suppliers are allowed to claim in their ads.

https://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2016/Insight-We-confirm-tougher-approach-to-broadband-price-claims-in-ads.aspx#.V6niJ7AUX4Y

Soldato
Shame their website doesn't list any available packages. It says I can get up to 76 Mb/s then the "show packages" button or whatever it's called does absolutely nothing on every browser I tried.

Great job Vodafone.

Associate
Better to think of it as a £18 line rental + £4(£7 for new) package. It's just combined to make it more appealing. No doubt comes with some nice traffic restrictions during heavy network congestion. One of Sky's packages is cheaper over the same 18 month period but it has a 25GB data cap which'll be used up in 2 hours. If you're a light to medium user then it's definitely worth going for (even more so if you're already an existing customer).

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
No doubt comes with some nice traffic restrictions during heavy network congestion.

No.

So it's just being merged then, as you still need a line and phone.

Yes. It's Vodafone trying to be clever and win over new customers using cheap advertising.

yCrgB7J.png

Sure... :/

BT 55/10 works out at just over £15 per month after maximum cashback, and you can use your own modem/router combination. Voda's "deal" is nothing special.

Caporegime
Line rental is the ticket booking fee of the broadband world. It's frankly a joke that something can be advertised as 'free' but requiring £18.99 per month of line rental.

Soldato
The only problem I can see is that they've been allowed to subsidise the headline broadband cost with ever increasing line rental charges.

Line rental and broadband don't need to be bundled together. They should be sold as separate products and then there'd be some possibility of competition. I appreciate that this won't happen.

As I've said before Virgin are the company that really take the **** on line rental. They're charging for something that to a large extent doesn't exist just because people are used to paying it.

Soldato
The only problem I can see is that they've been allowed to subsidise the headline broadband cost with ever increasing line rental charges.

Line rental and broadband don't need to be bundled together. They should be sold as separate products and then there'd be some possibility of competition. I appreciate that this won't happen.

As I've said before Virgin are the company that really take the **** on line rental. They're charging for something that to a large extent doesn't exist just because people are used to paying it.
You can get line rental from other companies with some providers, including BT, but it just isn't economical to do so because they will only sell them bundled to new customers and existing customers won't get discounts without having both products together.

Soldato
I'm of the opinion that this is a very good thing. I know that they will eventually hike the price, but getting a top of the line fibre package for £28 a month, or basic fibre for £25 is a good deal.

Hopefully this shakes up the market a bit price wise.

Back
Top Bottom