VoIP - hardware advice please

Capodecina
Soldato
I would be very interested in experiences that people have had with VoIP, particularly what handset they use, what they think of it and anything that should be avoided.

I would also like to hear if anyone has used an adapter to use a regular DECT phone for VoIP with an "always on" broadband Modem/Switch.

I am inclined to go with Skype and would appreciate feedback on Skype as well. I will have a look at the Google Talk Beta too.

Soldato
i say avoid google talk, most people have skype. my experiences are good, spoke to my mate in india, voice quality was good, didnt take up much bandwidth. so it is pretty good :)

daven

Soldato
Skype all the way, not got into the whole skype-in thing yet but it's starting to look like a viable alternative as I tend not to use my landline much. Skype for your Smartphone also looks interesting and potentially cheap if you have 'free' bandwidth.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
stockhausen said:
I would be very interested in experiences that people have had with VoIP, particularly what handset they use, what they think of it and anything that should be avoided.

I would also like to hear if anyone has used an adapter to use a regular DECT phone for VoIP with an "always on" broadband Modem/Switch.

I am inclined to go with Skype and would appreciate feedback on Skype as well. I will have a look at the Google Talk Beta too.

I'm using a 'Handytone 486' ATA (connects to the modem/router then you plug a 'normal' phone into it) with Sipgate, and it works brilliantly. It's just like having a regular landline.

The great thing about Sipgate is the fact that you get a normal landline number, it even has a normal area code.

The ATA was a bit fiddly to set up with my Lynksys router, but once set up it just works flawlessly.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
DreXeL said:
. . . Sipgate . . . works brilliantly. It's just like having a regular landline.
I have had a look at Sipgate and have heard good reports about it. The thing is that I have an existing land-line - have had for years - and all of my friends and contacts know the number. I don't really want to change my phone number.

It does seem that Skype is the major player in the market - I am still keen to know what handset (or headset) people use with VoIP.

Associate
stockhausen said:
I have had a look at Sipgate and have heard good reports about it. The thing is that I have an existing land-line - have had for years - and all of my friends and contacts know the number. I don't really want to change my phone number.

It does seem that Skype is the major player in the market - I am still keen to know what handset (or headset) people use with VoIP.

You will retain your old number SIPgate just give you an additional number to use with VoIP calls (allowing you to use the device anywhere with a localised number)

SkyPE is all well and good, but it is propriatory and virtually all solutions require a PC (all the ones I have seen).

SIPgate uses SIP (you'd never have guessed :p ) which is an open standard allowing people outside the SIPgate network to call you (as long as they are using the SIP protocol) - SkyPE is ONLY for SkyPE

Associate
I use one of Finareas companies www.internetcalls.com. Got a local uk number 0116 £8.60 for 4 months in which to use the calls but most countries inc UK are free - meaning that the money has to be spent on mobile/0845/0870 numbers. One can use the money up at theend of the 4 months on calls at usual rates and then top up again for the "Free Calls"
Bests using a voip router which distributes the band width, giving priority to voip before other types of downloads.
I use a Fritzbox as sold in UK by Sipgate bought mine on ebay and converted it to annex A

Back
Top Bottom