Volkswagen DSG Gearbox

Soldato
Does anybody have any experience of these?

I've picked up a nearly brand new Passat 2.0 TDI Sport DSG hire car today, and to be honest I was quite looking forward to driving it after reading all the positive stuff about the DSG gearbox... but after doing 40 miles in it I'm seriously unimpressed.

When you're driving along, it's fantastic, it changes extremely smoothly and instantly, but my problem with it is that when pulling off from standstill, it seems to take absolutely ages to get moving. The car creeps forward for a second or two before then going full pelt forward - I assume this is caused by the clutch arrangement, but it's almost dangerous if you're trying to pull out into a gap or something.

For that reason alone, I have to say it's the worst automatic gearbox I've ever used, and I don't get why everybody raves about it :confused:

olv

olv

Soldato
see if it's has got the launch control that the golf gti has :p step on the brake and gas to the floor and it should hold the revs at 3k. might need to be in 's' mode if there is such an option. probably only a gti thing but you never know!

Associate
I am not quite sure what you mean, but there is a hesitancy when moving from standstill but not a 1 or 2 second delay when in "D", I do hope you are not putting it into neutral when stationary. You do have to drive one for a while before getting used to it, it is not a manual and it is not a traditional automatic.

Soldato
OP
Both of the cars I drive regularly are automatics, so I know how to drive them ;)

I don't put it into N when stationary, no. Maybe I'm exadgerating the delay, but the car moves forward slowly, and then accelerates hard after a second or two. That's what I mean, although I guess it is hard to explain.

Associate
This months evo in the long term test they are doing of an R32 basically says the DSG gearbox = garbage and they hate it (this is town driving out of town A/B roads they said its great).

I've not driven one but read various forums regarding DSG and it seems that what people say is in S mode you get pretty much instant go but whiplash effect :p

In normal mode then there is a pause then you get a big speed boost when you don't expect it and have to stop from crashing into the back of the car in front.

Most people complained about DSG when going onto roundabouts and coming out of junctions. Bit of a learning curve to drive DSG apparently.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
It's not pulling away in 2nd then dropping to 1st is it? If so, liberal use of the 'S' button should deal with it. Have you checked the manual?

I have driven a 2.0 TDI DSG Passat very briefly and I wasn't too frustrated with it. I think I'd rather have a full auto though in a car like that.

Soldato
I have an 06 Golf GTI DSG and It does have launch control, you just have to put it into sports mode, turn off ESP and hold both the accelerator and brake on. When you release the brake the car will launch, but be carefull as it's wheelspin like crazy as the traction control is turned off.

I've heard that the 07 models haven't got it but there's no difinative answer yet.

If you put the car in neutral then put it into drive then there will always be a slight pause when the car is selecting first gear. But if you leave it in drive, or sport mode, then it should launch like normal unless you use left foot braking - the ECU will over-ride the throttle and it'll hesitate.

If it's doing what you are saying, and you are not left foot braking, then I'd get it looked at by your local dealer. That's not right with my experience using the DSG.

//edit: Adz has a good point, unless absolutely stopped the car will try and pull away in second gear. If that happens then it could feel like hesitation as the clutch is engaged but is perfectly normal.

Soldato
two words; heel and toe

Once you master that pulling away will be fine.

I think what you are saying is that the DSG starts down at tickover and works its way up. Normal automatics go to higher revs straight away and the torque converter spins up; and obviously in a manual you can slip the clutch to pull away faster.

Also; purely due to the way the engine is, not the gearbox, the 2.0TDI is pretty slow below 2000 rpm and then once it hits 2000 rpm it just explodes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yep, I've driven a manual Sharan with the same engine, but that wasn't the same as this.

I think it's simply because it's a bit slow in releasing the clutch to make it smooth. Guess it's something you have to live with, but I couldn't put up with it if I'd spent £23k on one of these!

On another note, I have absolutely no idea how this car got the title 'Sport'! It seems to mean bigger alloys, crashy suspension and a bit of silver trim here and there.

It also looks ugly, especially the front and back!

IMG_9159.jpg

IMG_9160.jpg

IMG_9164.jpg

Interior isn't TOO bad, but it feels rather cheaply put together, especially around the climate controls and the lack of cruise control and a multifunction wheel is simply inexcusable.

Associate
Gotta love that no smoking sign :)

As for the DSG it really is something you have to drive to get used to, it doesn't drive like a manual nor an automatic but once you have grown accustomed it is a very relaxing drive or frantically fast if needed, perhaps not in a Passat 2.0 TDi.

Only thing I can suggest is trying to anticipate moving from standstill allow some time between releasing the brake and applying the accelerator, and to realise that the "D" mode is a lazy mode and is not good at fast starts.

Soldato
Ring Peace said:
Gotta love that no smoking sign :)

As for the DSG it really is something you have to drive to get used to, it doesn't drive like a manual nor an automatic but once you have grown accustomed it is a very relaxing drive or frantically fast if needed, perhaps not in a Passat 2.0 TDi.

Only thing I can suggest is trying to anticipate moving from standstill allow some time between releasing the brake and applying the accelerator, and to realise that the "D" mode is a lazy mode and is not good at fast starts.

There is definately a lag if you drop your foot down from standstill as the turbo needs to kick in. DSG is quite an amazing box though, fast changes, very smooth and responsive depending where your foot is and sports mode is not always just revving each gear more on some VW/Audis.

You just have to get used to it, don't judge it too quick :p

Associate
zain said:
There is definately a lag if you drop your foot down from standstill as the turbo needs to kick in. DSG is quite an amazing box though, fast changes, very smooth and responsive depending where your foot is and sports mode is not always just revving each gear more on some VW/Audis.

You just have to get used to it, don't judge it too quick :p

I'm not quite sure why you are quoting me I don't have a problem with my DSG nor do I have a problem with turbo lag as I have no turbo. I love the DSG, I love it so much I'm getting another one soon, this one will be VAG's 2.0TDi so I will find out if it doesn't suit but in my test drives it behaved perfectly.

Soldato
Ring Peace said:
I'm not quite sure why you are quoting me I don't have a problem with my DSG nor do I have a problem with turbo lag as I have no turbo. I love the DSG, I love it so much I'm getting another one soon, this one will be VAG's 2.0TDi so I will find out if it doesn't suit but in my test drives it behaved perfectly.

I must have just selected it, don't worry, calm down you are safe!

Soldato
kaiowas said:
Which utterly defeats the whole point of launch control. :confused:

I don't know what he's on about, traction control is still active, you just need to learn how to drive first, a little throttle control on launch and it's all good.

I've never experienced DSG being slow to pull away either, put in S and give it some beans if you want a rapid start.

Back
Top Bottom