• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Voltage/temps for 3570k @ 4.5

Associate
I was just wondering what sort of voltage and temps people were getting for their 3570k at 4.5 GHz. Mine is using an offset of +0.02v which gets a load voltage of 1.26V and max temps on IBT maximum stress level of 89C on the hottest core. Prime 95 small FFTs get a maximum temperature of 80C on the hottest core. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Associate
4.5GHz I got about 69C at 1.25V on mine. I delidded and now it's 59C. It depends on voltage with the 3570K's imo.

Well, I lowered my IMC and temps got higher, and it's unstable lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Mine needs around 1.35 for x45 but its cooler then most even at those volts...its especially cool under water.

Basically no CPU is the same so its hard for anyone to tell you what yours will needs, don't go above 1.52 vcore (LOL)

Associate
OP
Mine needs around 1.35 for x45 but its cooler then most even at those volts...its especially cool under water.

Basically no CPU is the same so its hard for anyone to tell you what yours will needs, don't go above 1.52 vcore (LOL)

I am very aware of the silicone lottery, I was just seeing how mine was in comparison to others in terms of winning the lottery or losing it :)

Associate
I am very aware of the silicone lottery, I was just seeing how mine was in comparison to others in terms of winning the lottery or losing it :)

Cool, I'd rather personally crank more volts into my core to get a certain core clock then have a low vcore and high temps, ivy bridge seems to have many variations once overclocked and now many of the guides were written when the chip first came out they don't all hold true.

Like I said mine needs a lot more voltage then others but it was never a hot chip, whereas others get much lower vcore but are restricted by temperature. It's runs very well now it's de-lidded and water cooled, but it doesn't like to go above x47 at any voltage, temperature regardless.

Associate
OP
Cool, I'd rather personally crank more volts into my core to get a certain core clock then have a low vcore and high temps, ivy bridge seems to have many variations once overclocked and now many of the guides were written when the chip first came out they don't all hold true.

Like I said mine needs a lot more voltage then others but it was never a hot chip, whereas others get much lower vcore but are restricted by temperature. It's runs very well now it's de-lidded and water cooled, but it doesn't like to go above x47 at any voltage, temperature regardless.

Well upping the voltage on a chip will increase the temps- if I ran mine at 1.35v it would run hotter than it does atm. Yours runs cool as it is under water and de-lidded, mine is just under a 212 Evo and not de-lidded.

Associate
OP
I must be lucky, I only need 1.2V for 4.5Ghz and it tops out at about 65C on air. Considering pushing for 5Ghz now :D.

What cooler are you using?
As mentioned below, is this during normal use or stress testing? Because I only get to around 55C on BF3 ultra, but IBT is far more demanding than any real world application- hence far higher temps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I must be lucky, I only need 1.2V for 4.5Ghz and it tops out at about 65C on air. Considering pushing for 5Ghz now :D.

is this when gaming or being benchmarked ?

for eg if i benchmark at say 4.5 and do say ten runs of ibt difference is quite a bit compared to gaming say 15c

Permabanned
What cooler are you using?
As mentioned below, is this during normal use or stress testing? Because I only get to around 55C on BF3 ultra, but IBT is far more demanding than any real world application- hence far higher temps.

Prime95 stress testing for 2 hours( I know I could do it longer and probably will over christmas) it maxed at 64 on 2 cores, 65 on 1 and 67 on the other.
This is using a Xigmatek Venus cooler. Later I will do an hour or so and upload a screen of it.

*edit* This is after just over an hour of prime, I think it's safe to say it's the max temps I will hit. I think I need to dust a little as it's a couple degrees up on last time.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/tempsd.png

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/277/tempsd.png

Pics too big

Still happy with 70max on one core though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Well upping the voltage on a chip will increase the temps- if I ran mine at 1.35v it would run hotter than it does atm. Yours runs cool as it is under water and de-lidded, mine is just under a 212 Evo and not de-lidded.

Very true. The clock speed increases temps ~linearly, so 3.4 to 4.5 GHz is a ~32% increase in clock speed and heat output.

Increasing voltage gives ~quadratic increase in temps, so 1.05 to 1.35 is a ~29% increase in voltage but a ~65% increase in heat output (power consumption).

The two combined are a more than doubling (+117%) I think.

Associate
gkaQV.png

Been stable for months, folding everyday. These are my temps.
Running Prime adds a few C to it, but not much.

Oh in my BIOS it says IMC is used to igpu overclocking, so I lowered it right down and have never had a problem. Saved me 10c.
620 khuler.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

A word of warning, the path from 4.5 to 5ghz isn't as straight and narrow as it sounds. From what I can tell most chips will do 4.5 (at whatever voltage) but once you start getting to the 4.7-4.8 range there are typically massively diminishing returns and your voltage surplus will go out the window very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom