Volvo v50 drive

Soldato
My car got wrote off last week so looking for something else to get me to work and back and maybe the odd day out when we need more room (2 children).
Always liked the look of these so got a few to look at this weekend. Are there any known issues I should look out for or even alternatives.
I'm trying to keep running costs low

mjt

mjt

Soldato
This is the old-model V50 isn't it?

I remember hearing that the diesel engines were problematic. My mum had a 2.4 V50 and they're surprisingly small inside. Perhaps just get a Focus?

Associate
The Volvo diesels are fine, the D3, D4 and D5, the 1.6D and 2.0D are not Volvo lumps and are pretty crap, so I'd avoid those.

There are a few issues that can happen but none that you would be able to tell on the day of viewing (electronic steering lock can stop, electronic ignition barrel can stop etc). Generally they're pretty reliable cars.

The P1 platform Volvo's are very sensitive to wheel alignment/suspension setup and they eat through bushes, so worth checking those.

If you want more space, the V70 is a better kid/dog carrier IMO.

Associate
I currently have a 2010 1.6d drive for my daily shed, which has the Ford/PSA lump. Similar to you I needed a cheap estate car on short notice so ended up with this. Despite the horror stories mine has been 100% reliable over the last 2 years and other than oil change services I've only had to find £70 for a new battery. It costs pennies to run, £20 road tax is great.
It is a small estate though. Rear room is limited for adults if front seat driver is tall. Not many storage cubbies in the cabin and has the worst cup holder placement in any vehicle I've owned. You can't change gear with anything taller than a small coke can in the holder. That said, front seats are very comfortable for long drives and load area is a decent size for the size of car. Volvo are very tight on toys so be wary of buying poorly specced cars. Not as nice to drive as the Focus it's based on but feels much better screwed together. Drove mine all the way to Norway last year without a problem and doing the same again in July.

Associate
I've got a 59plate drive and its ok I guess. Quite dull, super slow but remarkably cheap to run. If you get any but the last version (6speed in the last of them) you will have the older engine where the DPF is actually a service item and technically requires replacing at 75k intervals, add to that you've a small tank of EOLYS fluid strapped to the back axle thats vile and difficult to fill (every 36k and a dealer reset of the level) makes it a bit of a pain. I quite like mine but I'd recommend getting a D3 if you can, only slightly higher fuel consumption but more reliable :)

Soldato
OP
I got a 61 plate. Pick it up on Saturday. I was torn between the 2.0L or 1.6 drive but couldn't justify giving the government the extra money in road tax and fuel consumption so won't with the drive

Man of Honour
I got a 61 plate. Pick it up on Saturday. I was torn between the 2.0L or 1.6 drive but couldn't justify giving the government the extra money in road tax and fuel consumption so won't with the drive

I have a 61 plate D4 R-Design Edition. Had it for the last 5ish years. What model engine do you have exactly? There are a few that are 2L.

Soldato
I got a volvo 2013 S60 petrol T3 version, ford engine inside apparently.

Ive only had a it a few months its okay, volvos are heavy so that is a big downside, power to weight ratio of the exxon valdez.

Otherwise so far so good. If you want something to wang around corners I would avoid, they aint fun to drive, smooth, refined, sure, fun, definately not.

Back
Top Bottom