VR Game recommendations- Post yours here!

Soldato
Picked up Mervils Adventure after playing the demo.

Simple but neat little game, fun to do little tasks. Touch controls work really nice, worth the asking price to me.

Another one of those games like lucky's tale, that make you wonder why Nintendo aren't all over the concept of vr... Definitely one for the kids.

Associate
Are any of the games you guys listed a true killer app for VR yet?

Right now, I'd say any cockpit/sim/racer that runs in VR is a pretty good placeholder for killer app. Been playing Project Cars and Elite Dangerous lately and can quite honestly say - VR was made for simulators.

Soldato
I couldn't fathom playing elite in any other way. The simulator is such an easy out, as it works so well.

Vr can be many things though, the HRV Demo is amazing as a concept in gameplay. Only in Vr can something like that exist.

Somebody somewhere is looking at that, thinking that's the next superman/spiderman game. That's the same world away experience that playing elite is.

Associate
Lunar Flight.

Once you've mastered the flight mechanics (which is pretty much the point of the game tbh), it's a great game to chill out in and listen to a podcast. Have been doing that since the DK1 and still do.

Associate
Love bellybots :)

Others I like in no particular order
Raw Data
Doll City
Vanishing Realms
Elite Dangerous ( Lot of bad reviews due to graphics but I don't have problem )
Project Cars

There are more but don't want to make post too big ;)

Loz

Loz

Associate
I haven't played Dota 2 but been using the Dota 2 VR to watch some matches and it is definitely a great experience. (also free.)
Elite Dangerous and DCS World (free) are superb.
Dirt Rally using Revive is really good too. (best with wheel and pedals though)

This is on the HTC Vive.

Last edited:
Soldato
not been playing many vr games recently but i had a good go of a couple

War Thunder in VR in a plane. Very nicely implemented experience. Makes flying much more immersive and easier to track targets etc. Havent tried VR in the tank yet and not sure how that would work so good as i switch between 3rd person and 1st person (for aiming) in that.

Subnautica

I complained to them how half assed their vr was about 6 or 7 months ago. But now it is nigh on perfect. Very smooth and looks gorgeous.. Zero issues with screendoor or anything really...except minor nausea but to be expected as i havent played much vr recently. Anyway all the functions seem to be working so far (started a new game and faffed about in survival mode) and can see all the ui now.

Soldato
Have to go back to subnautica, if they've improved it.

Are the reviews about 'Onward' accurate? nearly everyone on steam are massively positive.

It's well implemented but the movement mechanic can be a deal breaker. Give it a shot and just refund it if you can't handle it.

Soldato
I'll be on it at the weekend, bit rammed at work atm.

I'm guessing the locomotion is similar to altspace. Movement with the left pad wasn't so bad at the slower pace. Something worth checking out to see if you've got legs for onward maybe.

Just find it odd that the amazing steam review cluster isn't being replicated on any of the major review sites.

Associate
Have to go back to subnautica, if they've improved it.

Are the reviews about 'Onward' accurate? nearly everyone on steam are massively positive.

Honestly I think it's accurate - and I'm thinking of putting a review up myself.

I've mostly been against artifical locomotion, but I adapted pretty quickly to this game. When you traverse ground that goes up and down it can be a bit odd, but I don't feel sick at all when playing (or after).

It's probably my favourite Vive game just after a few days of playing. The teamwork is very natural, and all the mechanics are superb. Reloading is very cool, as is holding the trigger over your shoulder to simulate holding your radio - making the radio static/beeps too.

It's basically the CSGO of VR (EDIT: Maybe ARMA is a better comparison), but strategy becomes a greater focus rather than that and reflexes.

Can't wait to play it again tomorrow, maybe tonight if I find time.

The game just feels next level against those like BF, COD, CSGO etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oddly enough I got around to giving it an hour tonight.

One thing it doesn't do is explain itself, thankfully there was a guy on my team showing me the ropes, reloading ect..

Movement wasn't an issue, I was good with rec room, this is no different. I think you're right about counterstrike, it really has that raw game type all the early halflife mods had. It does have that same connecting feel that the simplistic tactical shooters have, and everybody I've played with was really in to it.

A few improvements on what we have, when you dive down for mags, or anything from the chest, things need to be more clearly defined, perhaps not everything mounted in one area.

The main one for me was balance on the weapon, pistol was fine, but with a riffle, having to balance the back end in floating air while looking down the sight was a real problem.

I'm not sure how you address that beyond having a physical object pushing against you.

I agree though, certainly the next level... just a ways to go, his roadmap looks promising, and you have to believe that eyes are on this with somebody thinking we can make a money truck full doing the game type x10 better.

One notch from being awesome.

Soldato
Just had an hour in a multiplayer lobby of DCS. Took the mig-15 out for a quick spin and found a load of guys at a nearby airfield messing about doing aerobatics, was pestering them for about 5 mins when another bright red mig comes zooming past, caught up with him and did some formation flying for about 15 mins before breaking off and landing.

Had a huge smile from ear to ear, it was absolutely amazing experience. Just having a break for a few mins then hopping back on for another few hours!

Back
Top Bottom