VW emissions recall, anyone had it?

Caporegime
Had my scirocco 'fixed' yesterday along DSg oil and filter change.
Can't say I've really noticed any difference - been out in it a couple of times and seems more or less the same.

I did however kick off at the VW garage and insisted that its been independantly checked by two seperate garages before it came to VW (only had it a month or so). Said if theres any EGR problems afterwards I will be dumping it on their lawn for them to fix. Service advisor reassured me that if theres any issues VW will offer a 'good-will' gesture to fix. I'll be holding them to that!

A good will gesture does not mean that they will cover the entire cost, it could only mean that they will offer to pay a small proportion of the cost, for example, a couple hundred out of a grand plus bill to sort it out, you could be liable for the rest.

A good will gesture is an age old get out clause.

Soldato
Either way my car has been fine since - in fact it feels smoother, but that's probably because of the DSG oil change I had done at the same time as they reset the DSG computer at the same time.

Man of Honour
had vw dealer on the phone today (york) the recall is compulsory and my car will fail it's next mot and needs doing? This true

No, completely false. Under normal circumstances you should not allow your vehicle to be put in a position where it might have the fix applied (be warned they use underhand tactics like sneaking it in during a service even if explicitly prohibited by the owner). There are numerous reports of cars being wrecked by the fix. The only time you might want to consider it is if you are having trouble with the EGR as if you have the fix applied then you might be able to get it fixed as a goodwill gesture.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just had mine done as it went in for a service anyway, and I'm almost certain that fuel economy has gone up. I'll check on my run to work today, but it seemed suspiciously high coming back from the dealer last night. AWESOME!

Time for a remap maybe..

Caporegime
That's not a suspicious first post at all!

Edit: Post I was referring to has been removed :)

Seems that more 1.6 owners report problems than 2.0, I guess the combination of a software and hardware fix is more pronounced than a software fix alone.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I swear my fuel consumption has increased by 15-20%. I've only gone through half a tank so it's still far too early for any proper statistics, but it has clearly increased. Engine sounds noisier too.

If I get a proper remap (rolling road, etc.) can they over-write this BS?

Caporegime
Yes, any remap will replace the map put on by Audi during the recall.

My A4 didn't change in consumption (at least, not noticeably) after the recall, it may or may not have got a little more sluggish, but that could have been placebo.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Cool, thx.

On a related note (I've never remapped a car before), my A6 has done 90k miles and is on stock clutch, etc. What's the risk of things going bang/clutch slippage on a simple remap? (170 to 200PS, 350 to 410Nm)?

They say this remap is 'extra careful' as it's only Stage 1 and well within tolerances, etc.

Caporegime
My A6 (granted 2.0TFSI) had done 120,000 miles when it got remapped (170PS to 250PS and 280NM to 400NM) and suffered no clutch slippage or other remap related ailments.

However, all cars are different, and yours may have had a hard life on the clutch before you got it. I'd certainly be budgeting for a clutch change, even if it doesn't end up needing one.

Soldato
Still not had the wife's golf done and don't think we will bother. If it is so easy to fix the issue without effecting the car in anyway then why did they botch it in the first place?

Still can't believe th UK government let them get away compensation free must have been some nice backhanders!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just checked tyres at a petrol station last night, pulled out ready to go on 1000km trek up to Denmark, car full with family in tow...... EML light!
Called Audi Assistance fuming, assuming that it was directly related to the 'fix' they did 2 weeks ago.

Repair man comes out, turns out it it's the DPF pressure sensor. He said he's seen a few cases of the emissions recall screwing things up, but he honestly thinks this one is a coicidence and the sensor is reading -4 and he could measure the current flowing through it, even though the car can't.
I guess I'll find out when my garage opens on Monday..

Now I've had to rent a bloody car. Of all the times for a poxy little sensor to throw a fit, it has to be just as I was setting out on holiday!

Soldato
What have they actually changed? I don't see how they can just make emissions better simply with a remap, without compromising on something else. It's just not possible.

I mean...they were having to cheat in the first place just to meet minimum requirements :/

Man of Honour
What have they actually changed? I don't see how they can just make emissions better simply with a remap, without compromising on something else. It's just not possible.

I mean...they were having to cheat in the first place just to meet minimum requirements :/
From what I understand it's down to what conditions have to be met for EGR to active. As EGR lowers combustion temperature to improve NOx emissions but increases CO production, lowers economy and power

Associate
Thought I would chip in on this topic.
We had this "fix" done on the works van the other week. I didn't think it was worth the risk but my business partner got it done anyway. 3 days after getting it done, engine light on and into limp mode. A couple of resets later and it's still doing it. Back to the dealer and they diagnose egr cooler blocked. ( they say egr valve is ok but we don't know how they can be sure). They want £1000 to fix it. And they cant even do it at the moment cos for some reason the parts are on back order.

This is for a vw caddy with 180k miles. They say the mileage is too high to replace the parts for free. But no warning was given about doing the work on a high mileage car. If they think the fix could break a lower mileage car then why not a high mileage car too. The van is hardly on its last legs. Got fsh etc and we don't even do a lot of mileage in it that's why we still have it

This "fix" isn't worth it under any circumstances. And I won't buy any secondhand vehicle that falls into this category either cos long term reliability is jepeordised.

Associate
Zuma.
the reason the parts are on back order is because the emissions software is causing more EGR activity, that along with the altered combustion cycle building more soot deposits. it is possible to get EGR valves from Germany on the internet, but VW and Audi are buying up so many to fix cars that the emissions software is causing issues with. i would doubt it is the Cooler that is blocked, it is usually the valve body itself. most of the time they can be removed cleaned and refitted.

before i left VW in March we were replacing EGR valves by the dozen, we knew it was the software that was causing this, the next step is the DPF will block up due to the lower combustion temps, no passive regenerations. the system enforced regeneration sometimes does not completly clear the soot and will need to be done more often. most cars that have had the software installed will have other issues too. higher fuel use, lower power. and the engine will rattle at lower engine speeds. this was all known by VW before the rollout of the recall software begun.

i have heard on the VW grapevine that some dealers have suspended the recall rollout, i have not been able to find out if this is direct from HQ ro indevidual dealers seeing sense and eventually saving the company money and keeping owners cars safe from mechanical failures.

one last thing before i go, dealers are unofficially being told to find work on customers cars to grow funds to cover costs for repairs they are being forced to do as a result of the recall. things they are using to make work are Brakes, brake fluid, Aircon re-gas and tyres. before i left VW i issued a customer with notification that his car needed Brake disks and pads all round, and brake fluid needed changing. cost to the customer £690 the reality was that none of the work actually needed doing. OK the brake fluid was coming up to 2 years since last change but the rest was fiction. just a word of caution to all owners... if the dealers call you saying this and that need doing. just stall them by saying you need to wait til next months paycheck is in... any excuse. then gain a second opinion.

Soldato
becca_hall said:
one last thing before i go, dealers are unofficially being told to find work on customers cars to grow funds to cover costs for repairs they are being forced to do as a result of the recall. things they are using to make work are Brakes, brake fluid, Aircon re-gas and tyres. before i left VW i issued a customer with notification that his car needed Brake disks and pads all round, and brake fluid needed changing. cost to the customer £690 the reality was that none of the work actually needed doing. OK the brake fluid was coming up to 2 years since last change but the rest was fiction. just a word of caution to all owners... if the dealers call you saying this and that need doing. just stall them by saying you need to wait til next months paycheck is in... any excuse. then gain a second opinion.

You aren't being told to invent work that needs doing on people's cars. That is clearly the wrong interpretation.

Why on earth would the dealer interpret it that way. Then again I can see why a dealer would deliberately misconstrue it to rip off customers and increase profits for the dealership.

When I go to get my car serviced of MOT'd the garage will also look for work to do on my car. I'm a captive customer and so the work is likely to have higher margins than normal. They don't invent things to do.

Permabanned
Our A4 went in for a service and not long after had to go back in for a new EGR valve.

Last weekend it had to go back in in for a new oil pressure switch.

Back
Top Bottom