VW R32 or something similar?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It’s worth bearing in mind that the ULEZ expansion in London for 2023 is not yet confirmed. Apparently, the plan is to make a decision by the end of this month.

Soldato
The other half had a 118d e87 for years so used to the car but obviously 130i is a totally different beast and kit wise from what the 118d had.
Ran a search and a few on AT at the moment.
Definitely the 118d is the N47 engine I believe which was prone to timing chain problems.

Obviously the main difference will be the engine and handling too. Common upgrades include suspension parts from the E92 M3 and a LSD.

I didn't get round to this but had a performance backbox which opened and increased the sound nicely.

Only limitation is in terms of power there's not much increases to be made , there are one or two supercharger kits and a garage in USA who have tried turbos but generally the engine doesn't play nice with forced induction thus it's rare to see one with a s/c or turbo

Man of Honour
Funnily enough I came up against a Mk3 VR6 the other day. Not as quick as I remember.

The only thing they really had going for them was the experience on the open road, the noise and response at highway speeds - outside of that they really don't have much going for them as much as I love the VR6. But when in their element there is something satisfying about them.

Man of Honour
It’s worth bearing in mind that the ULEZ expansion in London for 2023 is not yet confirmed. Apparently, the plan is to make a decision by the end of this month.
Good shout. But like all "consultations" I expect the decision was made before the consultation period started. 99.9999% the expansion will go ahead.

Associate
OP
@Hades that is my take on it also. It will just go ahead regardless of what is said at these consultations.

The inflated prices are making it difficult to know what route to take. Alfa GTA 147 even crossed my mind this morning but not sure on reliability on these or finding someone local to maintain it.

I have had such mundane cars over the years as they were literally mile munchers so just want something remotely enjoyable for the morning commute or school run.

The OH car can be the safer family wagon option.

Man of Honour
@Hades that is my take on it also. It will just go ahead regardless of what is said at these consultations.

The inflated prices are making it difficult to know what route to take. Alfa GTA 147 even crossed my mind this morning but not sure on reliability on these or finding someone local to maintain it.

I have had such mundane cars over the years as they were literally mile munchers so just want something remotely enjoyable for the morning commute or school run.

The OH car can be the safer family wagon option.
I'll make another VW group suggestion then, although it's hard to find a low mileage one nowadays; TT mk1 Quattro Sport 240 but only with the recaros. Do not buy with standard seats. Limited edition car built on the 1.8 turbo engine (sorry no VR6 in this one but tuned to 240bhp so the same power) but feels a surprisingly special place to sit. Slightly increased power. Lovely seats. Extra bracing, rear seats removed, battery relocated for better balance, VR6 bodykit, different wheels and two tone colour scheme. Appreciating in value. Only a two seater. Make sure it isn't an April 2006 car due to tax. Not a true sports car but the sportiest mk1 TT they made.

Associate
OP
@Hades thanks for the suggestion. Slight issue on that front. Need to put two booster seats in the back for the school run. I think my neighbour had one many years ago. Looked a cracking motor then and still looks good many years later. Mk1 still holds up. Were they manual only?

Man of Honour
@Hades thanks for the suggestion. Slight issue on that front. Need to put two booster seats in the back for the school run. I think my neighbour had one many years ago. Looked a cracking motor then and still looks good many years later. Mk1 still holds up. Were they manual only?
All 225's were manual in this country. The QS240 was manual. The V6's came in both DSG (most common) or manual (a bit rarer).

Soldato
I remember looking at one right before a mk2 Focus ST and the ST felt so much better to drive, even though it was only FWD and lacking a cylinder.

Man of Honour
The Mk4 was the worst generation for VW by far, the Golf was average at best. They gave all the goodies to Seat which never happened before or after.
The exception to this was the mk4 R32. It had a very special engine for the time, and a better suspension setup. It also had lovely seats which lifted the interior. It's an iconic car that started the R series of Golfs. I haven't looked at prices recently but I expect they are holding value well.

ED30 every day of the week. Holding value too!
But yes, the ED30 is actually the better car.

Caporegime
The exception to this was the mk4 R32. It had a very special engine for the time, and a better suspension setup. It also had lovely seats which lifted the interior. It's an iconic car that started the R series of Golfs. I haven't looked at prices recently but I expect they are holding value well.

But yes, the ED30 is actually the better car.
R32 is only a slight improvement over the GTI. Its only a little bit faster but sometimes doesn't feel it as the GTI Turbo gives a good slug of torque low down. The R32 is also heavy and not as much fun some have said.

Permabanned
R32 is only a slight improvement over the GTI. Its only a little bit faster but sometimes doesn't feel it as the GTI Turbo gives a good slug of torque low down. The R32 is also heavy and not as much fun some have said.
The MK4 was a complete disappointment, the GTI in particular was an embarrassment to its heritage. The R32 was the best of the bunch but that wasn’t hard given how disappointing the rest of the range was. The correct comparison would be with the Seat Leon Cupra R with its 225bhp Bam engine and Brembo 4 pots. The R32 would have been heavier, slightly more powerful but 4wd so better traction off the lights. The Seat would be infinitely more tuneable though and a simple remap would see the Seat pull away from the R32. Heck my Polo would give a R32 a run for its money.

Mk5 is a better platform but the R32 is heavier again and like you say the GTI is a better base, easily tuneable, less weight.

Back
Top Bottom