VW Scirocco

Soldato
Having driven a friend's Scirocco for a few days last week, my interest has been piqued as to what the VW has to offer. I loved driving it and was a bit sad to have to hand it back.

From looking around a few threads on here, it seems like the 2.0 TSI is the model that fits my criteria (I don't think my budget of £13k will stretch to an R, at least one worth having) but I'm struggling with spec. I can't work out what is standard, what is optional and what is worth having.

So far, I've narrowed my list of spec 'wants' down to the following:

Essential:

Leather + Heated + Electric Seats
Xenon headlights
Rear parking sensors
RNS / RCD 510 (I presume the only difference is Nav?)
DSG gearbox

Nice to have:

Dynamic Chassis (car I drove had this)
Front parking sensors
Reversing camera
DAB (can this be retrofitted?)
Dynaudio speakers/system
Lumbar support (or is that part of the electric seats?)

Not bothered:

Panoramic roof

What would a budget of £13k get me/what sort of prices should I be entertaining for the 'right' car?

NB. If this was a petrol model, it ticks all my boxes - anything missing from the spec that I should look for?

Soldato
@glitch I have a 2.0tsi scirocco it's great fun to drive I paid 13k just under 2 years ago. It comes with all essential apart from xenon which only the R comes with however can be retrofitted.

Mine also came with a pan roof and Dab.

I believe all Sciroccos come with the dynamic chassis.

You should easily get a nice representation at that price.

Main thing to avoid is the 1.4tsi and go for the 2 or the R.

Soldato
OP
Would you not be better at looking towards a Golf? Could potentially get a GTi in budget?
I wouldn’t be opposed to a Golf that had a similar or better spec, but there’s something different about the Scirocco that really appeals.

Could I get more Golf for my money?

Soldato
OP
@Quinnaay - Xenons were an optional extra on all models, as far as I can tell, but an expensive one. I thought the same was true for the Dynamic Chassis, but I’m still trying to work out what’s what when it comes to the Scirocco.

Soldato
OP
Depends what you want...you can get GTi's in budget...

Not sure if it matters but with the Scirroco you get 2 seats in back, with the golf you could fit 3 people in back with a squeeze.
I know very little about Golfs, but GTi would appear to be the level I'm aiming at. 3-door models with leather (can't stand the cloth seats) seem very thin on the ground though?

And no, passenger space is not an issue.

Soldato
I know very little about Golfs, but GTi would appear to be the level I'm aiming at. 3-door models with leather (can't stand the cloth seats) seem very thin on the ground though?

And no, passenger space is not an issue.
They're thin on the ground because sensible people just buy a Golf, hence why they are ceasing production of them.

Soldato
I don’t get why the Scirocco is still so overpriced on the used market. The cheapest one on AT with 90k or under on is 6.3k private for a 9 year old example. Which is hot hatch money but most of them are either the asthmatic 1.4T or the diesel variant. They are no better than a normal Golf inside and have now been discontinued by Volkswagen so it won’t even be a current car they produce after this year.

Associate
Dynamic Chassis was standard across the range.

Must have is rear parking sensors with the visibility so crap out the rear.

Didn't really love the DSG box in mine to be honest unless you're giving it the beans 24/7 it's great lol.

Stay away from the 1.4's (had a lot of turbo issues I believe)

Horror story's regarding 2.0 tsi and failing chain tensioners, (but I think they were few and far between)

2.0 Tdi lump is affected in the Volkswagen diesel scandal LOL

Happy hunting! :cool:

Soldato
Why? it’s just a run of the mill diesel with 180bhp and is a poor mans GTI/R

That's just like saying a 320d is a poor mans M3...it has its place for those people who require diesel but still want sporty looks, plus some have decent kit. You wouldn't have a company car owner riding around in an M3 or R as it would kill you on Tax alone!

I think the GTD looks smart, is fast enough and has decent level of kits.

Would I buy one? No...but then I am not in the market for a Golf size car!

Soldato
That's just like saying a 320d is a poor mans M3...it has its place for those people who require diesel but still want sporty looks, plus some have decent kit. You wouldn't have a company car owner riding around in an M3 or R as it would kill you on Tax alone!
Totally valid point I agree but to me it’s almost replaced the GTI in many people’s minds for every 10 golf’s I see 9 will be GTD compared to GTI as many owners have not bought the GTD just because they wanted sporty looks with good mpg they have bought them because many average drivers over the last few years seem to have the opinion that diesel with mega torque equals faster so they think its some kind of hot hatch and I always see them driven ridiculously fast and actually know a few people who have had one over the years thinking it’s just as good as the GTI. One guy in work even told me his would spank my old ST225. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom