VWatercooling so I can see a lot of the liquid moving?

Associate
I'd like to put my desktop on my..... err..... desk and I'm interested in a watercooling setup which doubles as something visually interesting to look at. Similar to a lava lamp (which I love).

What would be the rest setup? (I haven't built a custom kit before, just installed an AIO)

After writing this I am wondering whether this would be impossible because you just won't see the water being pumped around?

Soldato
For most the part with transparent tubing most the colours are relatively solid. May see some flow if you look close but it’s usually a uniform look with pastel stuff.

Now there are some fluids such as Mayhems Aurora which look absolutely spectacular and you do see the fluid flow through the loop, swirls and currents in the res, but are shorter term fluids and not suited for longer term use (though in a very basic loop mine worked for a few months) and more for show systems.

This is a pic of one of my rig way back with said fluid in the res:

Xt659vA.jpg

Can also see videos of mayhems aurora, looks great. But as I say, it’s short term only, limited useand only way I had it last outside a few months was in simple loops. Needed to keep on top of maintenance so after novelty wore off changed fluid.

Associate
OP
For most the part with transparent tubing most the colours are relatively solid. May see some flow if you look close but it’s usually a uniform look with pastel stuff.

Now there are some fluids such as Mayhems Aurora which look absolutely spectacular and you do see the fluid flow through the loop, swirls and currents in the res, but are shorter term fluids and not suited for longer term use (though in a very basic loop mine worked for a few months) and more for show systems.

This is a pic of one of my rig way back with said fluid in the res:

Xt659vA.jpg

Can also see videos of mayhems aurora, looks great. But as I say, it’s short term only, limited useand only way I had it last outside a few months was in simple loops. Needed to keep on top of maintenance so after novelty wore off changed fluid.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Why is it only short term?

Soldato
Hi, thanks for your reply. Why is it only short term?

The particles in it used to make the effect. They will fall out of suspension and can settle in loop dead zones, tight bends and where flow is not high. Mayhems have a wiki: https://mayhemssolutionsltd.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/35000019690-mayhems-aurora-wiki

Aurora 2 is newer and slightly better and found I could use it for a few months in that simple loop of just pump, res, cpu block and a single res. Even then required much more maintenance. Would not use it in a more complex loop. A shame as it looks spectacular and does create that lava lamp effect in the res.

Soldato
Primochill have a Vue coolant which is aims for the same effect as Mayhems Aurora but is intended for long-term use because it doesn't use (apparently) a particle suspension. But it is really tricky to get right with very precise setup and prep required. It was also plagued with problems at the beginning too. Do some research, see how Vue is now and if you're prepared for the additional maintenance.

There is also UFO Cryo Chillz as well, but that's more like Aurora in having a particle suspension.

Soldato
I've very recently done my first custom loop. Started with just CPU but added GPU and then a vertical bracket so the GPU block is visible. Currently have XSPC EC6 opaque white with XSPC– UV yellow dye in it. So the coolant is a solid yellow and goes nuts under UV. I have it displayed on my desk and am loving looking at it. I do love the look of that Primochill Vue after seeing it on Jayz Two Cents. He stripping it down a few months later and it actually cleaned his block which means it probably is slightly abrasive. I've seen others complaining that it was a nightmare in their loops.

Back
Top Bottom