Waiting for bike to drop to normal idle level from startup

Soldato
Probably get strung up on here posting in the biker's cafe thread - but just wanted some advice

but before I "have a word" or another route via official means - is it completely necessary on a sports-bike to - after starting it up - wait idling until the revs drop from "cold-elevated-bouncing around-revs" to normal revs - say 4-5 minutes - or can you just start up wait a couple of seconds and go (like I do with my car)

one of our neighbours (well a bit complicated - not a direct neighbour and in some (nice) flats so hard to work out who they are) has some sort of sports-bike (not gone to check model yet) which seems to have a ridiculously loud elevated idle noise, our house for instance is I'd say 60 yards away and not only is it very loud but you can feel the vibrations of the "rumble". If you are outside in the garden you have to completely stop a conversation as you can't hear a thing.

just to clarify - the bike is in a small private car-park which is parking for a small set of flats - so I believe it is on private property

he/she obviously uses it for work - as during spring on-wards - this is at 6am or so - which to me is pretty antisocial - must be stored during winter as don't hear it. As a guide our bedroom is the opposite side of the house to where this bike is outside - and even with windows shut its loud enough to wake you.

During the summer if goes out a few times, each time its started and left for the idle to settle

just wondered if really necessary ? seems to me a bit anti-social really ? I wanted experts views on the necessity before I took it further. I suspect its a swapped exhaust post MOT or a "friendly" MOT tester

cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
No need to wait 4 - 5 minutes I m old school and let mine warm up for about 45 seconds and have listen and check all is good some just go on choke he is being a bit of a plonker.

Soldato
OP
cheers .one. - I'm not normally a grumpy neighbour (most things don't wind me up) - so I've not timed it - maybe 3-4 minutes - feels a long time - but you can hear the bike switch engine managent mode - from loud bumping around elevated idle, to a nice pur - then immediately he drives off

Soldato
My bike is a Ducati 1098s with a full Termi exhaust and a mapped engine. As you can imagine it is very very loud, at idle or when running. My start up procedure has always been to wheel the bike out of the garage, put it on the sidestand, start it up, put my helmet and gloves on then just ride it away. There is absolutely no need to let a bike warm up before riding it off. As long as the rider dosn't grab large amounts of throttle until the engine is up to temp, the method i use is better for the engine and better for the neighbours.

Soldato
Start it, ride it.

Only things which really require warming up are highly strung 2 strokes which wont start revving out until some heat is in the engine.

Soldato
It might be an older bike with carbs, if it's cold then he'll have the choke on to start it, then in for a a little while as carbs typically run like crap when cold.

Mine revs at 3k with the choke on fully but even then I'll only have it on full choke for 30 seconds maximum, choke down to half and then ride away.

Modern fuel injection systems will have the revs high for a few seconds after starting, so it's probably an old bike.

Also, what feels like 3-4 minutes is probably 60 seconds, and if it's a big v-twin, maybe an old Ducati then it will be loud no matter the exhaust. And at 6am everything will seem louder.

Soldato
I idle mine for exactly 00.076 seconds. Start up, go.

Again though, I'm also up at about 7:30 so I get out of there as soon as possible to avoid waking too many people up. :p

Soldato
To be fair, it really depends on the age of the bike and to a degree, what make and model it is. My RSV needs a fair bit of fast idle lever applied to start initially and then it needs to sit for a couple of mins with the fast idle knocked back about halfway until the dash temp readout shows at least 40 degree c. Try and click it into first gear any earlier than that and the bike will simply lurch forward and stall. My Mille has a 2-2 exhaust system, Evo race mapped EPROM and an open air kit and as it's a v twin you can imagine it's rather fruity sounding. I don't use mine to commute as I am not comfortable with the noise it makes at 6:30am, I wouldn't inflict that on my neighbours.

Soldato
I leave the house at 5.15am and with the Nuda and the mt07 I would roll the bike away from my house and then start it, who cares about neighbours 3-4 houses down? :p

Soldato
I start my bike and ride off immediately, and I do this especially to avoid upsetting my neighbours as I'm not a ****.

I also do this to avoid annoying neighbours. Helmet and gloves on, start bike and pull away. I have an old bike with a choke as well so there's really no excuse.

To be fair, it really depends on the age of the bike and to a degree, what make and model it is. My RSV needs a fair bit of fast idle lever applied to start initially and then it needs to sit for a couple of mins with the fast idle knocked back about halfway until the dash temp readout shows at least 40 degree c. Try and click it into first gear any earlier than that and the bike will simply lurch forward and stall. My Mille has a 2-2 exhaust system, Evo race mapped EPROM and an open air kit and as it's a v twin you can imagine it's rather fruity sounding. I don't use mine to commute as I am not comfortable with the noise it makes at 6:30am, I wouldn't inflict that on my neighbours.

I used to start my Mille and immediately pull away, just as I do on the blade. The clutch was always a little more draggy when cold, but I minimised this by using 10W50 rather than 15W50, and it never got remotely close to stalling. Have you ever changed the clutch oil jet? The ones on the earliest bikes were a bit oversized IIRC and made the drag worse.

Soldato
Probably get strung up on here posting in the biker's cafe thread - but just wanted some advices
This isn't the car (Motors) section where you'll get ridiculed for asking a question :p

I also start and ride both the Hornet and Speed and just don't red line until properly warmed up.

Man of Honour
My KTM 990 (v twin, akra) used to run like a dog for the first few minutes and it was preferable to let the idle drop before riding it. If I really needed to let it warm up a bit, I used to push it 50yds up the road. Most of the time I just sucked it up and drove it.

I'd suggest having a polite word with the guy. He may not realise how the sound carries.

Man of Honour
I normally at the most wait the 30 seconds or so on a cold morning for the fast idle to drop but to be honest 9/10 it's fire it up and go.

Soldato
I'll roll it out the garage start it up, put lid and gloves on and go.

I've put my baffle back in but modified it as was too quite. Not bad at idle and nice and throaty when on it.

Back
Top Bottom