1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Snowdon - Rhyd Ddu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TS7, May 14, 2017.

1. TS7

Wise Guy

Hi,

Just received email from my friend who's organising a climb in August. He's chosen the the Rhyd Du path which from a bit of googling seems to be the easiest path.

I've not done any claiming before and he's sent a link for some Merrel boots. I don't plan to do any climbing subsuquently so spending £80 on some hideously ugly boots feels overkill however I don't want to be underprepared. So is proper footwear necessary for the said trail?

http://snowdon-walks.co.uk/self-guided-walks/snowdon-via-rhyd-ddu-path/

Any other tips? As we are all first time climbers. We do a lot of walking/rambling/exploring so fitness as such isn't the concern. It's more the actual climbing / hiking.

Thanks

2. Clarkson

Wise Guy

If you do walking/rambling already, do you not already have a pair of walking boots? These would be sufficient.

3. Greebo

Caporegime

I would never describe going up snowden by the easy trail a "climb". Did it several times as a kid in trainers though would recommend good walking boots.

4. Screeeech

Mobster

it's pretty easy to be honest, the problem is if it's wet or muddy, anything other than a solid pair of walking boots will get wrecked quite easily,

Also, it's absolutely RAMMED with people doing the three peaks challenge, the hardest part about climbing the damn hill is finding somewhere to park, so totally factor that into your trip, all carparks in the entire vicinity were rammed and overflowing before 7-8am on a weekend.

5. marin

Hitman

Have a look on Go Outdoors - boots start at £30.00 and they will be fine.

I like to use a walking pole - helps the knees and makes you more stable, other wise a small day sack with a water proof jacket should always taken.

6. Goksly

Capodecina

This. I paid about 40 for my higear ones. Waterproof, ankle protection, solid. The sticker price is crazy but if you pay cover for membership they almost halve the price.

7. Vargas

Mobster

Good socks, Vaseline and Compeed will assist.

8. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Would recommend boots that come above the ankle for sure, extra protection when rambling over rocky terrain.

But ditch the Rhyd du and get up Crib Goch. Much more fun.

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

Any reasonably solid footwear will do for that path aslong as you have a bit of grip. Make sure you are prepared for both extremes weather wise though - up mountains can go from freezing and deluging rain to hot and sunny in almost an instant and so many people get caught unprepared.

10. Dis86

Capodecina

So just to clarify, are you climbing or walking?

11. robj20

Soldato

Rhyd Ddu had no climbing is a path an easy one at that. Sturdy walking shoes or any boots will be fine.

12. TS7

Wise Guy

Thanks for all your helpful responses - I'm going to pick up a pair of walking boots.

13. Vargas

Mobster

Cut your toenails before you go :)

14. Skiddley

Mobster

^ what he said.