Wall Woes: a tale of sheer incompetence

Associate
It began simply. All I wanted to do was give the walls a lick of paint.

I knew there was damp ....

eeMrY5f.jpg

but I also knew that it wasn't going to get fixed for at least a year (money, freehold, scaffolding etc etc). But the look of it bothered me so I thought I'd just scrape the walls as best I could, put down a waterproof primer and then paint away.

However when I began scraping rather a lot of the wall came away.

Z2H1hfT.jpg

I thought I'd put on some "mortar stabiliser" and then some waterproof masonry primer anyway.

This somewhat aggravated the situation.

XBLtLpU.jpg

1pSUHDJ.jpg

All in all I was feeling a bit like this:

meaFYEU.jpg

I persevered.

I decided it was worth taking out some of the mortar on the really bad bits and then repointing; else I don't think I was going to be able to paint over the areas because of the crumbling mortar.

I used this stuff at first. In the video below it's the grey stuff on the wall.

dav1ruy.jpg

But it dried very very hard so it might not have been right. However, I didn't use a lot of it because I ran out.

Then I used an actual mortar mix that I got from the trade building shop near me. I filled in most of the holes but I'm a bit concerned that I didn't mix it right because it seems very crumbly to me.

OLKl9Wz.mp4

SO I did that and now I'm sort of half way done but there is more crackling yellowing paint in other areas and I wanted to ask what the best course of action would be. I know that I need to find and fix the leaks but that just isn't going to happen for a while (for reasons above). I don't want to make it any worse and I thought perhaps there was something I could do from inside that might at least help a bit.

Here is a video that may make you feel a bit seasick bc I'm up a ladder.

Also I wanted to check that I wasn't doing anything terribly terribly wrong.

Meanwhile, I want to paint the rest of the place but I know I'm going to have to clean or at least brush the surfaces first and I'm worried that if I do, a LOT of wall will come off.

This is my story.

Last edited:
Soldato
The video link isn't working on mobile at least.

You'll have to bear in mind that if exterior pointing is knackered (or if other issues like guttering are pouring water into the wall), moisture will travel through the wall. Repointing is a little bit like resealing the porous bits of an exterior wall.

Any moisture that gets in the wall needs to go somewhere, sealing the inside might not be the best choice. I can't say for sure as I've only had exterior pointing issues, staining interior plaster. But do be a bit careful about trying to entirely waterproof the inside surface.

For minor stains I've used a latex or vinyl based sealer (can check) before painting over. But wouldn't recommend for an entire wall, and not if it's crumbly.

Presumably this isn't something that a good PVA wash will stabilise? That's what I've done on exposed brick/mortar surfaces we intended to build over later. Just to stop the "I rubbed my finger on it and now there's a small desert on the floor" effect. Couple of liberal coats of watery PVA followed by a couple of less diluted ones.

Associate
OP
The video link isn't working on mobile at least.

You'll have to bear in mind that if exterior pointing is knackered (or if other issues like guttering are pouring water into the wall), moisture will travel through the wall. Repointing is a little bit like resealing the porous bits of an exterior wall.

Any moisture that gets in the wall needs to go somewhere, sealing the inside might not be the best choice. I can't say for sure as I've only had exterior pointing issues, staining interior plaster. But do be a bit careful about trying to entirely waterproof the inside surface.

For minor stains I've used a latex or vinyl based sealer (can check) before painting over. But wouldn't recommend for an entire wall, and not if it's crumbly.

Presumably this isn't something that a good PVA wash will stabilise? That's what I've done on exposed brick/mortar surfaces we intended to build over later. Just to stop the "I rubbed my finger on it and now there's a small desert on the floor" effect. Couple of liberal coats of watery PVA followed by a couple of less diluted ones.

Thanks. Fixed the link.

I don't intend to seal it, merely ward it off for a bit because it won't get fixed for a year or so (the roof) and it's unsightly.

Soldato
I'd hazard a guess that your roof and tiles need seeing to, to stop further ingress of moisture. Then let the walls dry out properly for about a month before attempting any repairs The warmer the room, the faster the walls will dry out.

Soldato
I'd hazard a guess that your roof and tiles need seeing to, to stop further ingress of moisture. Then let the walls dry out properly for about a month before attempting any repairs The warmer the room, the faster the walls will dry out.
This...

Imagine sealing one side of a wet sponge. It'll just get more and more saturated until you have structural problems.

Love you btw James, keep these posts coming :cool:

Associate
OP
100% need to deal with the source of the water, not just seal it into the brickwork.

This...

Imagine sealing one side of a wet sponge. It'll just get more and more saturated until you have structural problems.

Love you btw James, keep these posts coming :cool:

I know I know
but we don't have the freehold yet and the freeholders made it very very difficult :)expensive) for us to do the roof. Prohibitively so. It needs scaffolding and the whole building needs to be done (three flats) so we're waiting until we get the freehold so we can get people in who don't get picked by the freeholder and are, thus, cheaper. But it won't be for a while. I just wanted it to look nicer. IS THAT SO BAD??????

I get that it's just a plaster (hey out of interest I hate that the expression is "just a bandaid" and doesn't really translate so if I want to say it it seems I have to use the American version).

Associate
Oh, that videos hurts my eyes. Firstly you are just making the problem worse by using any form of sand and cement mix, its a solid brick wall. The stuff you have been using isnt going to be doing your wall any good. The cement in the mix will like you said set really hard in fact you will find it sets actually harder than the actual brick. When you have a wet wall with any form of cement mortar repairs you will then eventually get spalling bricks, why you ask? Well all bricks will absorb water when it rains, or condensation to an extent internally. This moisture will evaporate from the mortar but it cant if its cement. You need a lime mortar mix to allow the wall to breathe. I.e you need to allow it to absorb moisture and then allow it to evaporate away.

Also, I doubt you are going to be able to find out about what type of paint that is and its if any form of water proof paint it wont be helping with your issues. Maybe look at taking all the paint off and getting it back to a decent looking brick? You then probably need to try and get all the mortar you stuck in there out again. The wall then probably needs a good repoint, you will need to channel out a good bit of mortar and then repoint with a lime mortar.

You can only do any of that once you have sorted out the damp issues. You are NOT going to repair that wall until you sort out the source of the water. None of the stuff above will work if the wall continues to be damp like it currently is so that needs fixing first.

Also, just a side note, check your lease, I assume you are a leaseholder? you could be lucky because sometimes the freeholder is responsible for the buildings structure and that would include the guttering and roof.

Back
Top Bottom