Wallpapering seal walls first?

Associate
After renting for many many years we finally got our own house and now I have the fun of being able to decorate.

I've stripped all the old wall paper off, I've no idea how long it had been on the walls but the previous owner has wall papered over wall paper.

I've filled in all the holes in the plaster and sanded the best I can but I'm not sure with it being old plaster if I will need to seal it again, when I was stripping the old layers of paper I did steam it a lot to get them off.

The wallpaper I have is past the walls but not sure if I should put diluted pva on first as a sealer?

Associate
I've never had to do this in the past. What I would suggest is putting glue onto the wall before putting new paper on especially at the edges/ joints/ corners.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Dont waste your time with sealer, use a wet sponge first to wet the plaster (depending on how dry the walls are you might need to do this a couple of times) to add some moisture, then use a healthy thick layer of paste the wall paste.

All sealer does is slow down how quickly the walls suck the water out the paste, so if you pre-wet the walls it does the same job.

Back
Top Bottom