want a new soundcard

Associate
I have an Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 I want to upgrade pc but wont be able to keep this as its pci I was wondering what would be a good upgrade
Audigy2PLT_EX.jpg

Associate
Gigabyte Z270M-D3H. Has PCI slots. Problem solved.

I wouldn't give up that Audigy 2. That was a good card. You won't beat it with a modern card.

If you do want a modern solution, I suggest an external unit (referred to as a USB DAC) which does not suffer from noise or interference like internal cards. Creative, Sennheiser, Oppo, AudioQuest, Arcam, and many others make them. You can get 5.1 and 7.1 units, though most are just stereo.

Remember that you can use multiple audio devices simultaneously in Win7 and later so you can have a stereo external DAC with no mic input and just use the mic input on your mobo or a USB mic.

Associate
Regardless of if it's a good card, creative have already waved the wand of artificial obsolescence over it as it's now classed as end of service life with the last driver for it being from 7 years ago with the likelihood of it working in anything beyond windows 7 to be between slim and none.

Also, you're highly unlikely to find an intel motherboard with integrated nvidia graphics (you're unlikely to find any motherboard with integrated graphics on the board) since all current intel processors have graphics included on the processor.

Associate
Any motherboard will support AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, so you don't have to worry about what motherboard you get since the top PCIe 16x slot is always going to be fully 16x.

Associate
All Z170/Z270 boards (and all other boards with PCIE slots for that matter) support either 1 Nvidia or 1 AMD card, as well as SLI/CFX if they have multiple slots to accomodate the cards. Some boards are SLI/CFX certified but those aren't the ONLY boards that can do SLI/CFX.

Having said that, the day of multiple graphics cards is starting to pass us by, with Nvidia only supporting 2 way links at this point.

GPUs are so powerful that even at 4K, a single high end card like a 1080Ti is enough for any game to produce high frame rates at high settings. There is no longer a need for multiple GPUs.

And yes, you are not 100% likely to get a driver for that card that works properly with Win 10. However it is an excellent card.

If you do get a new card, look at an external DAC that has the ins and outputs you are after.

Back
Top Bottom