want more ram, help

Associate
Hey guys, bin playing BF3 a lot lately and i am in need of more ram the 4GIG i currently have aint enough any more :( so this is my current specs.

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition
G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo AMD 785G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

I don't know what kind of memory will go with the 4GIG that i already have, i don't want to get rid of the 4GIG in my system, need something that will work well with it.

anyone any recommendations ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit 1

I completely messed that up.

I'll start again in a minute.

Edit 2

Do you have a 64 bit operating system?

Is this the same spec. RAM as you have now (apart from the size)?:

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

If it's the same you could add that 8GB kit for £39.95 assuming it'll fit with your CPU cooler.

12GB is overkill though.

You could add this:

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit £19.99

You might have to adjust the timings of your existing RAM to match and try and run both sets at around 1.50-1.5V.

This is the closest match:

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit £24.99

It should run with the same timings and voltage as you're using now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So i ended up going for this memory
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

came today put it in, and nada nothing comes up on screen, just get no signal :( have tried it in all different slots, tried using just one stick, still nada, anyone any ideas ?

board is
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo AMD 785G (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

Caporegime
You could try clearing the CMOS (this will reset all your BIOS settings including any overclock).

Or....

Your motherboard runs 1600MHz RAM at an overclocked setting so perhaps try for 1333MHz first to get it working.

Using your original RAM go into the BIOS and enter the following manually:

DRAM speed 1333MHz
Command Rate: 2T or 2N
tCL: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 27
DRAM voltage 1.5V

Save the settings and the computer will restart.

Go straight back into the BIOS and then just hold the power buttom down and the computer will switch off.

If you can't get back into the BIOS with those settings and your old RAM don't worry about it just hold down the power switch and turn off the computer.

Either way it should have saved settings that will work with the new RAM.

Now take out the old RAM and insert just 1 stick of the new RAM.

Start your computer and see how you get on.

If it works try adding the second stick.

If it all goes pear shaped then clear the CMOS, put your old RAM back in and you should be back to where you started (sans any overclock).

No guarantees but it has worked in the past:

Your instructions worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You could try clearing the CMOS (this will reset all your BIOS settings including any overclock).

Or....

Your motherboard runs 1600MHz RAM at an overclocked setting so perhaps try for 1333MHz first to get it working.

Using your original RAM go into the BIOS and enter the following manually:

DRAM speed 1333MHz
Command Rate: 2T or 2N
tCL: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 27
DRAM voltage 1.5V

Save the settings and the computer will restart.

Go straight back into the BIOS and then just hold the power buttom down and the computer will switch off.

If you can't get back into the BIOS with those settings and your old RAM don't worry about it just hold down the power switch and turn off the computer.

Either way it should have saved settings that will work with the new RAM.

Now take out the old RAM and insert just 1 stick of the new RAM.

Start your computer and see how you get on.

If it works try adding the second stick.

If it all goes pear shaped then clear the CMOS, put your old RAM back in and you should be back to where you started (sans any overclock).

No guarantees but it has worked in the past:

i cant change my DRAM speed to 1333 only goes up to 800 o.O

----------------------------

on my laptop now so can tell you what i see.

Main Bios screen - then advanced - then umperfree configuration - Memory timming and voltage

options i have

memory clock mode - auto - manual, manual options. 400MHZ 533MHZ 667MHZ 800MHZ

DRAM Timing Mode - Auto - msanual, manual options. DCT 0, DCT 1, Both

Memory Overvoltage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i cant change my DRAM speed to 1333 only goes up to 800 o.O

Perhaps it shows the speed before it's doubled because it's Double Data Rate.

If that's the case I assume it has 533 and 666 as well.

Try 666.

Edit:

667 having seen your edit.

You can try leaving DRAM Timing Mode and Memory Overvoltage on Auto for now if you like.

If it doesn't work you'll need to change them to manual and input the settings I gave in post #5.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
it seems to be working now :D thanks man

another question for you though, i have ran cpuz to check memory and it only shows as 669MHZ is it safe to set it to 800 MHZ in bios and will it have much of an effect ? or ust leave it as it is ?

Caporegime
It's Double Data Rate so you have to double what CPU-Z shows.

669MHz x 2 = 1338MHz.

If you change the setting in the BIOS to 800MHz then the RAM will run at ~1600MHz.

You may need more voltage for that which will be the "Memory Overvoltage" setting.

The RAM will run 1600MHz at 1.50-1.65V so I suggest perhaps setting Memory Overvoltage to 1.55V and see how you get on.

If Memory Overvoltage works as an addition, rather than an absolute value, then try it at +0.05V.

Associate
OP
It's Double Data Rate so you have to double what CPU-Z shows.

669MHz x 2 = 1338MHz.

If you change the setting in the BIOS to 800MHz then the RAM will run at ~1600MHz.

You may need more voltage for that which will be the "Memory Overvoltage" setting.

The RAM will run 1600MHz at 1.50-1.65V so I suggest perhaps setting Memory Overvoltage to 1.55V and see how you get on.

If Memory Overvoltage works as an addition, rather than an absolute value, then try it at +0.05V.

working good so far, looking for a programe to test the memory, cant remember the name of it now lol

Back
Top Bottom