Want new phone and mobile internet for lappy

Associate
I'm thinking I might get a new mobile phone soon. I'd want to use it as a phone (lol), MP3 and video player, WiFi. Importantly, I'd like to be able to use it to hook up my lappy to t'internet while I'm on the train, ideally via bluetooth. The smaller the phone, the better - doesn't need a camera. One item on my wish list is FM radio, but that might be too much to ask.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ginga

Associate
excuse my ignorance - im someone who's been using cheap £25ish handsets for the past 3 years and completely out of touch with the tech in this area! lol - but does this mean if i got a touch HD i wouldnt need to get one of the usb dongles to use the internet on my laptop, whilst out 'n' about? If so then do the similar offerings at the moment do the same thing i.e. the BB Storm and G1?

Last edited:
Soldato
you maybe able to but under the data plan t&c for the networks(well I've seen it specifically on o2) it says you can't use the phone as a modem(with t-mobile think you can with the web'n'walk max, maybe able to with the web'n'walk plus both of which are more expensive than the regular web'n'walk)

Soldato
you maybe able to but under the data plan t&c for the networks(well I've seen it specifically on o2) it says you can't use the phone as a modem(with t-mobile think you can with the web'n'walk max, maybe able to with the web'n'walk plus both of which are more expensive than the regular web'n'walk)

Really? Do you mean you physically can't use it (as in it won't work) or you are simply not allowed to?

Soldato
not allowed to, not tried it my self so don't know what would happen if you did(and how'd they'd know that you were using the phone as a modem).

Soldato
I thought you can do this with most phones these days.

How would they know you are using it as a modem and not just browsing on the mobile.

Associate
In theory You can do it in three ways on a HD or Pro. Probably the easiest is actually wireless where your phone becomes a router. Connecting either via USB gives you 3 options, one of which is 'become a modem'. Doing it that way has the added benefit of allowing you to recharge the phone. Then I think you can indeed use Bluetooth too.

Soldato
Tbh, i think it depends on the provider & your usage patterns.
For example, ive just added W&W basic (1Gb) to my plan. Now they did say that unless i upgraded to the 3gb W&W that i couldnt use it as a modem.
Now if i was to start using it as a modem, as long as i kept it under the limit, i cant see them complaining.

Back
Top Bottom