Want some new wheels for my Ribble Gran Fondo

Soldato
Bought the Gran Fondo last spring and it came with Fulcrum Racing DB wheels which aren’t great, I have a budget of £600 for some nice all round wheels perhaps leaning towards climbing. They’ll need to be Disc Brake compatible, I’ve got 6 bolt but can replace with centre lock rotors. I really like the look of deep section rims but ultimately performance is king.

Any suggestions?

Associate
When I was looking I just couldn't find many good road disc wheels. I got Zipp 30 course disc in the end.

Soldato
Have a word with David at DCR Wheels to see what he could come up with if you want to source in the UK : https://dcrwheels.co.uk/

From memory his own brand wheelset (Bitex hubs and Venn/CCR carbon disc rims) were £820. Over your budget but cheaper than Hunt... Budgets are there to be broken :D

Alternatively...

CRC have their own brand Prime carbon disc for £499 in 50mm

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-rr-50-v2-carbon-clincher-disc-wheelset/rp-prod166644

£799 in the newer version which is a couple of hundred grams lighter

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-blackedition-50-carbon-disc-wheelset/rp-prod166638

Soldato
+1 for Chinese carbon.

I spam this photo a lot but these are my sub-£400 60mm deep rims from China...

VRjlQhbh.jpg

I own Campag Boras, Reynolds Aeros and recently sold my Zipp 808s. Unless you are fussed about the brand name stickers I think Chinese rims are just as good whilst often being at least half the price (or a quarter in the case of the 808s).

Just sorting out my second set of China rims. A pair of 1250g, 38mm deep tubulars for £340...

YWsH3Nk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Shamrock those Chinese wheels look amazing, how do the hubs and spokes compare to branded wheels?

Chri5 i did try a set of prime 50s but as odd as it sounds i couldn't get any of my tires on the rim, figured they were dodgy and sent them back.

Any opinions on the Zuus 50mm Carbon wheels for Sub £500?

Soldato
I'm no expert on hubs but they seem as decent as the hubs on my other wheels.

I don't ride my "nice" wheels in anything but dry conditions though so I can't comment on how they'd be after 6 months of filthy winter riding.

My opinion on Zuus is you're paying for wheels identical to mine but with a UK warranty so maybe a bit of peace of mind but extra £££.

Soldato
Associate
Zipps have been solid. I don't know that I can feel the difference but I like them. Will also be useful if I go for a gravel bike later.

Soldato
Yup mine are totally solid too - incredible build and actually quite light for alloy. Considering they're one of the first alloy wheelsets Zipp have made I'm impressed.

Mine do everything - commuting, towing baby chariot & fast group rides. Started on heavy gravel tyres (specialized roubaix 28), then went to light summer (continental gp4ksii 28) and now running tubeless (specialized roubaix 32). Bombproof wheels! Bearings have been great, hubs spin so freely, no water ingress on mine (but did coat lots of the inner endcaps with waterproof grease as fitted them myself - thru axle). :cool:

Back
Top Bottom