War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Soldato
Bombing is very hit and miss, if you don't get a game with lots of boats or pillboxes it can be super boring. Because it takes so long to reload and the bombs seem rather weak, it feels like you spend the entire game doing nothing but chip away very slowly at enemy bases. Also feel very vulnerable because it takes a huge amount of crew points to get the required gunners and level them up. My second bomber (Beaufort) doesn't even have a main gun!

Finding them such a grind to level up.

Soldato
The Beaufort is a **** bomber, far too weak. The Blenheim fully upgraded is much better tbh. The bomber you unlock Tier 2 from the Swordfish is good, forget the name now.

I've got some Tier 3 planes now, so good. 16 Front mounted MGs and a waist gunner = pwn

Caporegime
OP
You need to do research to get a front firing gun on the second bomber.

I am finding that the reload time on the bombers is terrible coupled with the fact that you need loads of crew points to get an experienced second gunner it's going to be grind fest to get it up to a standard I would be happy with.

Also I imagine since crews cannot switch between countries once you have chosen a country your pretty much better off sticking with them forever and therefore completely ignoring the rest as you essentially need to start from scratch again.

Golden Eagles are only worth spending on advanced training of crews

Soldato
The Beaufort is a **** bomber, far too weak. The Blenheim fully upgraded is much better tbh. The bomber you unlock Tier 2 from the Swordfish is good, forget the name now.

I've got some Tier 3 planes now, so good. 16 Front mounted MGs and a waist gunner = pwn

Aye just unlocked it there, the Wellington. That is a proper bomber! 10 bombs is much better than 4, and the bomb upgrades are looking rather tasty. :)

Edit - while it does great damage you really need a good crew to survive for any length of time, one experienced gunner for 4 turrets is nowhere near good enough. I may buy a few golden eagles and pimp my crew a bit, more than happy to pay as its a great game with what I can see being a long playing career.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye just unlocked it there, the Wellington. That is a proper bomber! 10 bombs is much better than 4, and the bomb upgrades are looking rather tasty. :)

Edit - while it does great damage you really need a good crew to survive for any length of time, one experienced gunner for 4 turrets is nowhere near good enough. I may buy a few golden eagles and pimp my crew a bit, more than happy to pay as its a great game with what I can see being a long playing career.

Look at some of the starter packs, through the link under the game in UI before you start it rather than in game shop. Can get one of the special planes, couple months premium account and a few k eagles.

Associate
Im soooooooo happy to see a thread on this, loving this game, I hear some people say the bombers are boring, I think they are great for leveling up and advancing your research as its pretty easy to take mulitple ground targets out once your used to it, and having the rear gunner takes a lot of guys by surprise.

Love, love, looove this game, in the process of trying to unlock the spitfire.
The Hurrakane has great guns, but its so slow at turning all the byplanes (your first two winged planes) can easily out monouver it, I wonder if the Spitfire is any better at turning?

Caporegime
OP
well if there is a big enough demand we could make our own squadron.

I wonder if Windle would want to be the leader of the squadron he seems to be really into it.

i think it would help us know who is all playing this game on here, who to add onto friends list and then hopefully we can team up together.

because there is obviously a lot of noobs out there and the less on your team the better.

Associate
It would be brilliant if we all got a few squads going, again I think this is an amazing game, but would be better with a few folks fighting together................."Hes on my tail I cant shake him!!!!"..............."Im coming buddy!!!!" :p

Soldato
I'd be happy to sort out a squadron, not sure where you set it up though? Spent a game last night dogfighting with 3 guys who were obviously in a squad, was really tough as they were helping each other out.

Soldato
Yeah a squad would be a godsend, 99% of the games I play are just lone wolfs dogfighting each other even though its a ground attack game requiring bombers. Nobody wants to be a bomber though because they have no fighter protection so losing is inevitable.

Also bought some gold eagles but keep getting an error when i log in so my balance remains at zero :(

Edit - have they removed the "send crew on holiday" option? My bomber crew has minus numbers after their stats, though it may have something to do with my lack of experienced gunners rather than them being overworked.

Last edited:
Soldato
Love, love, looove this game, in the process of trying to unlock the spitfire.
The Hurrakane has great guns, but its so slow at turning all the byplanes (your first two winged planes) can easily out monouver it, I wonder if the Spitfire is any better at turning?

The Spitfire is more maneuverable but doesn't seem to do as much damage as the Hurricane, if you can get a Hurricane on someone's tail its game over for them. Just find the Spitfire requires a bit more following and accuracy.

Caporegime
OP
I'd be happy to sort out a squadron, not sure where you set it up though? Spent a game last night dogfighting with 3 guys who were obviously in a squad, was really tough as they were helping each other out.

Yeah I had the same the other day, there was a bomber and what looked like 2 guys helping him out by following behind him. I went for one of them and the other one got me whilst i was chasing him.

I thought you would probably be the best candidate, as I go away on holiday soon and won't be on for a few weeks, so not ideal for me to do it.

Yeah a squad would be a godsend, 99% of the games I play are just lone wolfs dogfighting each other even though its a ground attack game requiring bombers. Nobody wants to be a bomber though because they have no fighter protection so losing is inevitable.

Also bought some gold eagles but keep getting an error when i log in so my balance remains at zero :(

Edit - have they removed the "send crew on holiday" option? My bomber crew has minus numbers after their stats, though it may have something to do with my lack of experienced gunners rather than them being overworked.

yeah the minus numbers are to do with inexperienced gunners.

i think the send crew on holiday option is to basically help swap aircrafts around.

some of the upgrade packs are really expensive, i saw one which was like £70ish for like 4-6 planes and some eagles and stuff.

What's everyones PSN username then? Will try and add through in game option although PSN is down for maintenance tonight (5pm to midnight)

Mine is PsychoSonny and I don't have a preference of being a bomber or fighter, but the sheer slowness of the reloads on my bomber would probably make me a more effective fighter.

Soldato
Yeah I had the same the other day, there was a bomber and what looked like 2 guys helping him out by following behind him. I went for one of them and the other one got me whilst i was chasing him.

I thought you would probably be the best candidate, as I go away on holiday soon and won't be on for a few weeks, so not ideal for me to do it.

yeah the minus numbers are to do with inexperienced gunners.

i think the send crew on holiday option is to basically help swap aircrafts around.

some of the upgrade packs are really expensive, i saw one which was like £70ish for like 4-6 planes and some eagles and stuff.

Mine is PsychoSonny and I don't have a preference of being a bomber or fighter, but the sheer slowness of the reloads on my bomber would probably make me a more effective fighter.

The expensive upgrade packs also include single player campaigns I noticed, sneaky gits!

I plumped for the £17 Typhoon one, get the Typhoon exclusive plane, 2 months premium and 2k Gold Eagles. Used some of the eagles to buy a Fury. Both the Typhoon and the Fury are beasts!

Associate

Mine is Deathjumps, I really dont mind being the bomber, no one seems to take me on as you can do it from great hights and my rear guner is bad ass and I have leveled it up a good bit.

Once I get my Spitfire, I'll be rocking that and trying to level it up a good bit :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom