War Thunder - Free PS4 WW2 Fighter Jet Game - Tips, Tricks, etc

Associate
Whats the best thing to upgrade on a plane, the options are lengthy and all Ive done so far is done research and not spent anything. Want a good plane first before I ues my eagles...

ps3ud0 :cool:

The Gladiator MKII are pretty quick to upgrade on all their gear and most of those 'first' biplanes are pretty maneuverable, they can easily out maneuver most hurricanes and Spitfires, there turn rate is so quick.
So they are good planes to start off with IMO, as I said I took out 10 planes in a row, a few of those were hurricanes and one spitfire, but again they have been leveled up the most, Upgrading the guns helps to take planes out quicker too.
Will see how I get on with the Hurricane now.

Caporegime
OP
Yea I know mate, but it was taking soooooooooooo long to research the SpitFire, I had done a fair few battles and was getting top 2 place in my team most of the time but I really couldn't wait lol (and I had 1.00 in my PSN wallet anyway).

How do you get more gold eagles with out buying more?

you get some for doing the tutorials other than that i don't think you get them in game, you need to buy them.

research happens automatically pretty much, you buy the upgrades using lions which i have like 200,000 of they aren't rare or precious, so spend as much as you like.

i buy every upgrade for every plane before moving onto the next, the researching is the hard part you need to research an upgrade before you can buy it, to research a part you need to select it and then use that plane in a battle and then do well with that plane.

i think you get like 4rp for a hit and 10rp for a critical hit, you then get additional rp for destroying aircraft, kill assists, saving a team mate or ground vehicle that was being attacked, etc, etc, etc.

basically you cannot just jump in a plane, get shot down and then expect to buy the upgrade soon, you need to do well in the battles with that vehicle.

i also do the upgrades in a specific manner

performance first

i feel performance gives me the best chance to win a battle, i can fly faster, turn better, catch planes, keep within shooting distance, etc, etc.

after that i go for survivability so that if i do get shot the plane doesn't fall apart if shot.

after that i upgrade the guns

i'm quite good at aiming so my theory is even with the crappy stock guns i can easily take a plane down with enough hits and the other upgrades make much more of a difference in dogfighting.

for bombers i go for survivability and turret upgrades first, as that is it's major defense and will help it stay in the air longer, then bomb and performance upgrades.

i also feel that upgrades are for that plane only, if you switch plane to something newer and higher ranked you have to start again, whereas if you upgrade the crew those upgrades stay with that crew forever, that's why eagles should only be spent on the crew.

i wish i knew this before i started using my eagles, i spent all ming on upgrades to the crappy plane i started off with.

Soldato
Added everyone who posted to my contacts and it's let me invite everyone to a "squad" which I think is like party mode? Someone come on so we can see if we can head into a game from it together please

Soldato
GG Murray and Psycho. Good laugh in squad.

Psycho think you've got NAT problems. End of the last game both me and Murray got a message saying we couldn't voice chat with you due to NAT. If you run a connection test in network settings on the PS4 it'll tell you what NAT type you've got.

Caporegime
OP
My connection is murder since switching to sky. Another six months to go before switching back to virgin media.

With all the devices adsl struggles.

I will try and reboot both routers next time before starting.

The game was a bit of a shambles tbh I think your best just all picking a base and attacking it firing at will. When we stick together we just end up flying into each other. I wonder how pilots done it back in those times lol.

Soldato
My connection is murder since switching to sky. Another six months to go before switching back to virgin media.

With all the devices adsl struggles.

I will try and reboot both routers next time before starting.

The game was a bit of a shambles tbh I think your best just all picking a base and attacking it firing at will. When we stick together we just end up flying into each other. I wonder how pilots done it back in those times lol.

Aye defo seemed to work better working separately but calling out targets and sticking within a couple of km so you can go help if needed.

Soldato
Was thinking last night, would be cool if you could be the gunner in other people's planes! Sit in the turret of someone's bomber could be a laugh.

Also, just seen that when the newest patch goes live on PC this game will be cross-platform with PC and PS4 players in the same servers!

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Rather than putting my second router in DMZ mode I have put the PS4 on a static IP address assigned by mac code and then put that IP address into DMZ mode.

Hopefully this helps with connection issues on the console, it's the pitiful connection I have on ADSL though, I did find towards the end it started to glitch/lagg whenever my wife was on instagram on her phone.

I'm lucky to get 2MB download and 0.5MB upload on the ps4 off a 10MB DL and 1MB UL line.

Sky never had fibre when I had it installed, they do now but rather than it being an extra £10 a month (what I would have been charged if they had it available when I signed up) they want an extra £20 per month, which I don't think is worth it over and above what the cost is for ADSL Unlimited.

Will be switching back to VM around June time, that's when the contract with Sky expires.

Back
Top Bottom