Warhammer 40k books on Humble Bundle

Soldato
Hopefully, this is allowed here, but there is a Humble Book Bundle at the moment which has a series of books on the Horus Heresy. I'm tempted to get it but was wondering if anyone had any input on whether it is worth getting the full bundle? I remember when I was a teenager I used to love reading the history of Warhammer 40k, so I'm interested in hearing what people think.

Soldato
The series is a mixed bag. First 3 are brilliant, after that the quality varies from great (First Heretic, Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons) to downright abysmal (Betrayer, Nemesis & I particularly hated the Dark Angel enteries though I gather some liked them) then all the short story anthologies are tolerable at best.

It's front loaded in terms of quality, after that it became such a horribly bloated mess they've been milking for years that it is very hit and miss, more miss with later enteries.

That being said I'm steadily chipping my way through it as the gems in there are good and the books are relatively short so even the worst enteries can be ploughed through.

Soldato
I would easily put that in the top 5 books in the series :confused:

Urgh I loathed it, I admit it was probably me hitting the series wall but it was the epitome of all the series key issues in one book.

Basically whoever is the title character/chapter are godlike and their enemies become bumbling mongoloids. In this book watching the Word Bearers and World Eaters make mince meat if the previously Uber fantastic Ultramarines was just cringeworthy. Their tactics were "scream and run into the guns" then all of a sudden the perfect Ultramarines could not fight and could not shoot. Was just massively frustrating that the series has no internal consistency in terms of strength and capability.

That and the Primarchs in this book, again the consistency is daft. A few books previous you have a Primarch struggling with a squad of marines and in this book Primarchs shrugging off direct hits from plasma cannons and being stronger than a titan.

Then the scene at the end with Imperator Titan :rolleyes:

Perhaps I am being unfair on this book individually but I just cracked by the end.

Associate
Has the series actually wrapped up?

I realised I hadn't made any headway into the series recently, so I picked up "Angels of Caliban" (book 38!). I'd like to know if I'm anywhere near the ending (which I don't know, so no spoilers please!)

Caporegime

I realised I hadn't made any headway into the series recently, so I picked up "Angels of Caliban" (book 38!). I'd like to know if I'm anywhere near the ending (which I don't know, so no spoilers please!)

Lol you don't know the ending to the horus heresy?

Soldato

They have apparently moved into the final phase, siege of Terra, but who knows how long this will be drawn out for though.

Plus, if it's still making money I could see them spanning into post heresy as you will still have a lot of interesting stuff going down.

I mean we all know the ending but will still be interesting to see it play out certainly the final confrontation. It plays directly into the hands of a writer like Abnett who gets off on stories about people with a disadvantage sneaking a victory. Would not be shocked if some sort of final trilogy penned by Abnett was already on the cards.

Back
Top Bottom