Warning for all motherboard owners

Associate
Just wanted to share my experience I've recently had with my motherboard kicking the bucket and the rma being denied due to "user damage".

Ive only ever done the screws up to hand tightness with a mini screwdriver so no real strength can be applied, im not sure if this is due to asus cheaping out with the motherboard coating / not bothering to put solder across all the hole potentially increasing pressure on the side with the scratch or just bad luck on my side.

THe motherboard no longer powers up and whilst i dont believe this is the reason for the death of the board ive been told asus wont accept this for RMA so im down £150 for something i never expected to be an issue.

Board is an Asus Z370-i and now ive replaced it with an asrock board. I hope no one else has to deal with this problem so thought i would advise maybe to keep the screws lose :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wanted to share my experience I've recently had with my motherboard kicking the bucket and the rma being denied due to "user damage".

https://imgur.com/a/DwaVfOP

Ive only ever done the screws up to hand tightness with a mini screwdriver so no real strength can be applied, im not sure if this is due to asus cheaping out with the motherboard coating / not bothering to put solder across all the hole potentially increasing pressure on the side with the scratch or just bad luck on my side.

THe motherboard no longer powers up and whilst i dont believe this is the reason for the death of the board ive been told asus wont accept this for RMA so im down £150 for something i never expected to be an issue.

Board is an Asus Z370-i and now ive replaced it with an asrock board. I hope no one else has to deal with this problem so thought i would advise maybe to keep the screws lose :/

They refused it based on that ???? thats just cosmetic damage and I highly doubt that would affect the board working or not, there wont be any traces etc around the screw holes there, they have just fobbed you off to save a penny here and there.

Soldato
That's shocking.. The screw holes are isolated anyway arnt they? Just looks cosmetic to me? Hence the larger white ring around the hole...whats that for if not to visually show a safe perimeter?

Associate
OP
Unfortunately it was ocuk on behalf of asus who sent it back to me as they dont believe asus will take it , shows how bad asus rma process is :/. Board doesnt post , rgb and mobo power light turn on but nothing else tested different switches / ram / psu . Bought a new mobo and working fine so i know its not the cpu either only benefit is at least i got Haribo for it XD though £8 for haribo is expensive.

Soldato
I had an asus rog rampage black edition board many moons ago, it died after about 3 weeks of use so i put my msi big bang xpower II back into the system. I got in touch with asus and they refused to rma it because they believed i needed to update the bios to support my cpu... however i told them how stupid that statement was given it had been running fine for weeks and then died. Needless to say i pushed them and got in touch with trading standards and posted publicly on their social media accounts and eventually got a refund for it.

Associate
Well that's bad on OCUKs part for assuming and not even bothering as they don't "think" Asus would even acknowledge it as an RMA. Motherboards should not be defective on purchase as they go through a QA process on production line. However there is of course cases where things are missed.

OCUK should be acting on behalf of you the customer. No other way to say it.

Back
Top Bottom