• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Warranty not honoured

Associate
Hi,

I'm observing few YT channels with repairs computer stuff and yesterday I've found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlL4T0310Og

I'm wondering what's the situation in UK - like if it happened in UK, what Thermaltake would have to do ? :)
And does situation described in comments matches UK - like EVGA #1 in RMA experience, MSI somehow good, but Zotac and Gigabyte (?) just return RMAs with fake reasons ? Anyone with bad experience, or rather everything works fine here ?

Permabanned

I accidentally smashed my Samsung 144hz screen the other day.. misplaced it and forgot where it was, turned out I must have pushed something against it.. was by the side of the wall in storage, bad mistake.

That kind of damage is not covered without a plan, they did offer to repair it though, I just took the L this time knowing I screwed up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had a very mixed experience over the years, building my own PCs, doing IT support for friends and family back in the day (still do a bit now) and working in the industry for a bit.

In my experience about 1/3rd of companies will just return your product unfixed or with a haphazard refurbish or just round-robin people's RMA returns, about 1/3rd will make the experience as difficult as possible to try and put people off and/or like above reject for fake reasons, etc. and the other third provide some kind of actual RMA service...

Associate
I've had mixed experiences with various companies. MSI replaced my GTX 680 without any issue and it worked for years after, Asus swapped a 2 year old GTX 780 with a GTX 970. Before that I had a faulty Asus GTX 570 for which I received a full refund after a year (why the hell did I keep buying Nvidia?) although that was via the retailer.

Soldato
Absolutely insane by newegg. Totally not surprised though.

I have said it many times, but worth saying again. We need OcUSA over here. Amazon, Newegg etc etc suck as etailers.

I do wonder whether resellers like OCUK would get the same treatment though. I mean i doubt they'd get away with the "it wasn't packaged properly" excuse, but if there were minor cracks in the card then i can see them being sent back to OCUK saying damaged. Which then means either OCUK has to pay out of their own pocket to replace or upset the customer by returning it and saying warranty has been refused because of damage.

Associate
Hi,

I'm observing few YT channels with repairs computer stuff and yesterday I've found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlL4T0310Og

I'm wondering what's the situation in UK - like if it happened in UK, what Thermaltake would have to do ? :)
And does situation described in comments matches UK - like EVGA #1 in RMA experience, MSI somehow good, but Zotac and Gigabyte (?) just return RMAs with fake reasons ? Anyone with bad experience, or rather everything works fine here ?

Another video from the same channel (Mentioned in the OP's video) where there seems maybe to be a design fault leading to a cracked board? yet they refuse to cover it via warrenty?

Associate
sometimes the latches that hold the gpu in are a real pain to open and release the card, i can see it being easy to cause problems like this if that bit of the gpu pcb is weak.

Associate
this is why you buy stuff with a credit card to get the added Section 75 protection...
Yes but it's not as easy as that. The Credit card provider has the same rights as the retailer, so if the retailer says the user damaged the product like they are doing here then the claim will fail.

S75 is a good thing but it's not a money back guarantee.

Permabanned

I accidentally smashed my Samsung 144hz screen the other day.. misplaced it and forgot where it was, turned out I must have pushed something against it.. was by the side of the wall in storage, bad mistake.

That kind of damage is not covered without a plan, they did offer to repair it though, I just took the L this time knowing I screwed up.

Samsung are amazing for warranty and repairs. During the first full lockdown when we could not leave the house, they sent out a DPD dude to collect my buds pro and they had them fixed and back in my hands within 48 hours. My mates phone went at the same time and that was a 72 hour turnaround to fix his phone and have it back to him.

Soldato
I had a great experience with Gigabyte a few years back. I'd picked up a 980 cheap which failed on me. I couldn't find the original reciept to save my life; but as they could see the card was genuinely borked and not user damaged, and could roughly judge age by serial number, they made a 'manager's exception' and extended a very kind gesture and replaced it with a bare 1070 ITX card, which is still working fine to this day in my brother's PC, and was also effectively faster. It may itself have been an RMA repair or similar given there was no packaging, but I won't forget how unexpected and appreciated this was.

Was blown away at the time, they also have an RMA base in Milton Keynes not far from where I live, so dropping any RMAs off has often been possible in person, and actually talking to someone briefly in person has been possible on several occasions, which is infinitely preferable to risking postal damage.

Honestly, experiences like this are what makes a company for me, I have bought a lot of Gigabyte kit over the years since I got into PC, and unless they prove they have substantially changed, I will continue to do so wherever possible.

Associate
Yes but it's not as easy as that. The Credit card provider has the same rights as the retailer, so if the retailer says the user damaged the product like they are doing here then the claim will fail.

S75 is a good thing but it's not a money back guarantee.

Its not a guarantee you're right but they will ask a retailer/merchant for evidence that the customer was at fault, the damage was done by them and the products hasn't simply failed in some way. That is going to be impossible for them to do or fake so they are on pretty flimsy grounds to win that case.

Where its gets messy is when the traders warranty period runs out and you're dealing with the manufacturer because they are typically based in another country which makes it near on impossible for a consumer seek any legal recourse. That's why its very important not to leave things too long because you never ever want to be in a position of you vs. the manufacturer you are literally relying on trust and brand reputation at that point.

Associate
nVidia have very good support. They accepted an RMA for my 3090FE based on coil-whine, and the whole experiance was flawless.
Courier picked up card, replacement arrived new-sealed-in-box.

Over the last 20 years, I can thankfully count more positve than negative RMA experiances. Both with retailers and manufactures.

Another shoutout to Dell. We use the mextensively at work, for laptops, Monitors, Servers etc. There agents are always very good, and arrange replacements fast.
So while I wouldnt buy a pre-build Dell for home, the monitors are amazing and covered by the same great service.

Amazon has also always been good to me.

Cant think of of the last truly terrible RMA experiance off the top of my head!

Back
Top Bottom