Was Home Secretary John Reid wrong to ask Muslim parents to spy on their kids?

Cybermyk said:
I don't get that he's asking the parents to spy on their kids as much as protect them from extremists and peer pressure. I remember there was a anti yob culture advert "do you know where your child is tonight?" or something like that, same thing.

He's also assuming that their parents do not approve.

dmpoole said:

No, but implicit in his imploring is the assumption that its not happening anyway.

If he'd come out and said 'I think its important that parents dont let their children play with sharp knives' he'd have been slated for being patronising and stating the obvious.

The only way one can accept his comments is if you think that muslim parents arent *already* keeping an eye on their children, and that they would not have an a priori desire for their children to not venture into extremism, in the same way that a statement about sharp knives would only be valid if he thought that parents would routinely allow it to happen.

Not wrong in the slightest......

If I know that my child has murdered someone and do nothing, I am an accessory. If my child is indulging in illegal activities that my responsibility is the same.....

Hodders said:
Not wrong in the slightest......

If I know that my child has murdered someone and do nothing, I am an accessory. If my child is indulging in illegal activities that my responsibility is the same.....

SO you think it would be good for the Home Secretary to send out a message 'Parents - please keep an eye on your child to make sure that he/she isnt a murderer'?

Do you not think that would be somewhat patronising?

dmpoole said:
Before I waste my time watching this please don't say the ending has white people doing 7/7?

If you prefer to make a silly comment and keep your mind happy than let it be. I just posted a video, if you can't be bothered to watch it and make up your own mind then that is your loss.

what do you expect parents to do if they think their kids are turning radical?

Do you honestly think they will report them? Report them will lead to a team of 150 armed and hair triggered police in hazmat suits storming your house at 3am, or worse still, turning your childs head into a collander because of "reliable intelligence"

Reid is an idiot to think anybody in their right mind will grass out their children to the plod, just look at their track record of cocking up monumentally. Not to mention, the parents who originally reported might also end up detained without trial during the "investigation".

He said nothing of the sort for crying outloud. That's just what the media have manipulated you and the rest of the reactionaries to think.

He wasn't asking them to check their kid's emails and diaries... just to keep an eye on their general behaviour... which is what any responsible parent should be doing anyway.

Jumpingmedic said:
He said nothing of the sort for crying outloud. That's just what the media have manipulated you and the rest of the reactionaries to think.

He wasn't asking them to check their kid's emails and diaries... just to keep an eye on their general behaviour... which is what any responsible parent should be doing anyway.

Exactly, so then what is the real purpose of his statement and why have the government controlled media manipulated it in such way?

Is Islamic radicalism really such a huge problem or is that just the aftertaste you get from the propaganda being shoved down your throat on a daily basis?

How many people research a news item beyond the mainstream sources? Why is there so little info on the revolutions going on in Mexico, Belarouse, and Hungary including the coup in Thailand? Why arn't they broadcasting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's speech at the UN and his requests for peaceful negotiations yet constantly pushing the nuclear threat issue? So many questions, so many questions.

media isn't controlled by the government. they do it because it sounds good and there for sales more papers. As well as upsetting people who believe the papers. Thus having more news to right about.

The government tells all parents this. One big recent one, was a big campaign for checking what your children where doing on-line. It's common sense but still needs to be put across.

titaniumx3 said:
Is Islamic radicalism really such a huge problem or is that just the aftertaste you get from the propaganda being shoved down your throat on a daily basis?

It is a problem, you just have to look at what the 2 blokes where saying when they where thrown out, and what they been saying on the streets. The Muslims living in his street want him arrested and have asked the council to throw him out his house. Also just look at the placards at most Muslim protests.

AcidHell2 said:
It is a problem, you just have to look at what the 2 blokes where saying when they where thrown out, and what they been saying on the streets. The Muslims living in his street want him arrested and have asked the council to throw him out his house. Also just look at the placards at most Muslim protests.

Making harsh objections and protests to western imperialism is a far cry from suicide bombing, despite what the propaganda machine may have you think. Sounds more like a simple case of 'quelling dissent', nothing new.

titaniumx3 said:
Making harsh objections and protests to western imperialism is a far cry from suicide bombing, despite what the propaganda machine may have you think. Sounds more like a simple case of 'quelling dissent', nothing new.

They are both features of the same ideology, and it is an ideology which needs to be removed. One is worse than the other, neither are positive.

titaniumx3 said:

It's one and the same thing. These people are either being groomed into the terrorist organisations. or are the brainwasher's. Just because there not the suicide bombers. Doesn't mean there not part of the organisation. Just look at bakri (the hooked man) he wasn't a suicide bomber, but he was one which twisted the faith and feed it to the weak minded.

Back
Top Bottom