Water cooling advice

Associate
Hey guys

Im wondering if anyone can help me ? I want to make a new water cooled PC although i dont have much experience with watercooling. Ill keep updating the current component list on this opening post, all suggestions are welcome ! :)

*Current suggestion* 22/07/17
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,965.16
(includes shipping: £15.30)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay so I have been looking at a few parts and so far ive decided on

Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Super Jetstream 8192MB GDDR5X x 2
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151
Asus Z170-Deluxe Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit
Vector Custom Design VD01 Desk Case

As i want this to be watercooled I still need to work out what reservoir , pump and radiator etc that i need. Does anyone have a suggestion to the kind of PSU i should be using and compatibility wise does this seem okay??

Many thanks :)

Soldato
Why pay £300 for 16GB 3200MHz DDR4.

Any of these (if you want the Corsair Platinum) would make more sense, including 32GB 3000MHz for less cost (not that you'll need 32GB for gaming):

The G.Skill Trident RGB RAM is really nice, if you'd consider an alternative.

Not sure why you're going for Skylake and Z170 instead of the newer Kabylake and Z270. Also, have you taken a good look at AMD AM4 offerings?

In games that don't support SLI (or don't support it well), you might wish you'd gone for 1080Ti instead.

Whichever GPU series you go for, make sure the manufacturer allows cooler removal and warranty remains even if you add a water-block.

Soldato
This spec with 2x1080Ti comes out cheaper (£2,820.95 v £2,857):

Total: £2,846.15
(includes shipping: £25.20)

OcUK allows cooler removal and adding waterblocks on their OcUK-branded GPUs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the recommendation it has been quite a few years since ive looked into building another pc so im a bit out of date with new stock. Ive updated my basket based on what you have said.

Total: £2,867.15
(includes shipping: £25.20)

Im thinking about swapping the desk case for the Thermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase - WhiteThermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase - White

Id prefer to stick with Intel at the moment as i have used intel in my previous 2 pc builds.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
After phoning overclockers they wasnt aware of a card that would still have a warranty after taking the block off so i may have to buy one with a waterblock fitted already :/

Last edited:
Soldato
After phoning overclockers they wasnt aware of a card that would still have a warranty after taking the block off so i may have to buy one with a waterblock fitted already :/

The guy you spoke to wasn't aware. They have confirmed cooler can be removed, in the Graphics forum, recently.

It's an alternative though (block fitted already), could even come out cheaper.

Associate
OP
Hi guys so after a bit of saving i'm looking to finally start buying some hardware. Does this list still seem okay ? I do not currently have any water cooling hardware on the list apart from the graphics cards. Thanks :)

Total: £3,030.32
(includes shipping: £22.50)

Soldato
Hi

What monitor are you going to be using ? Is this just a gaming pc ?

You should be fine with an 850W psu even for SLI. Most of the 1000W units are out of stock (Probably due to the mining thing).

Associate
OP
I have a BENQ XL2410T monitor at the moment but i will probably end up getting a 4k one eventually. Yes this PC will be 99% for gaming :)

Soldato
You should definitely get a better monitor ASAP as 2 x 1080 ti's is massive overkill for a 1080p monitor.

Have you looked at the Thermaltake Tower 900 ? The one you chose is showing as out of stock so you would need to ask about availability etc if you wanted that one.

This is a huge case and will show off a watercooled build very well.

Total: £264.05
(includes shipping: £14.10)

Click the spoiler tabs for some vids:

Associate
OP
Okay i have edited the list in my opening post im also debating between these
[*] 1 x Thermaltake Core P7 Design ATX Wall Mountable Full Tower Chassis/Showcase - Black Tempered Glass Win= £279.95
[*] 1 x Thermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase - White= £249.95[*] 1 x Thermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase - White= £249.95

Edit
*As i posted this you posted the same thing lee32uk xD*

Yup i have been looking at the tower 900 but i am trying to decide on which one is better, Okay ill keep that noted ill probably order that after ive built the PC

Last edited:
Associate
If you have no water cooling components at all then consider one of the ready made kits by EKWB.

They come pre-selected with everything you need to get going. Just pick one based on radiator size and budget requirements.

Soldato
A thing to consider with the pre-blocked GPU is if OCUK send you the air cooler as well.

Would be handy to have it if you ever go back to air cooling or even if you ever decide to sell the GPU (more chance of selling with the original cooler).

Associate
OP
If you have no water cooling components at all then consider one of the ready made kits by EKWB.

They come pre-selected with everything you need to get going. Just pick one based on radiator size and budget requirements.
Okay thanks ill try that im not 100% sure on what will fit or not regarding pumps and reservoirs

A thing to consider with the pre-blocked GPU is if OCUK send you the air cooler as well.

Would be handy to have it if you ever go back to air cooling or even if you ever decide to sell the GPU (more chance of selling with the original cooler).

Thanks thats a really good idea i never even thought of that ! :O

Back
Top Bottom