Water-cooling vega 64 asus strix

Soldato
Associate
It's expensive, but as many other users who are watercooling their systems, after the initial investment, usually just the GPU will require a new block every generation, if using a full cover block.
One thing worthy considering is using better thermalpad than the ones provided with the kit. Gelid GP Extreme is the best one I've found so far and reasonably priced.
Even using a push/pull, as there's no need to go even at 50% of the speed, your system can be virtually silent.
I've used the same thermalpad for the m.2, replacing the ones pre applied to the Asus x570-f, also the VRM and the infamously hot x570 chipset.
Despite the good airflow, there isn't any fan pointed at the motherboard, but temperatures are excellent and the system is quiet.

Associate
Is it that bad?
I have just water cooled my CPU, and my Nitro+ Vega 64 fan rarely spins up
What I didn't like during my very short ownership of the Vega 56 Pulse was the fact that the fan won't spin until some temperature, then the surrounding area would be always warm/hot. And under load, most of the hot air was blown against the motherboard and the side panel. The M.2 was always around 70 to 80c. The GPU before that, an Asus HD7970 DirectCUII was much better regarding cooling. Most of the air was blown outside the case.

Associate
Ditto. I'm keen to have a go to, I am currently running a Vega 56 (stock AMD) and its overheating like crazy, its doing my nut!

This is quite tempting https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-fluid-gaming-a240r but i really don't know much about it and am hoping others can help advise based on their own experience.
Personal experience, I would go with a Vario pump, which allows the speed to be manually selected, not PWM. Soft tubbing is easier to work with and cheaper too.
Using a Vega 56 Pulse, had similar problems.
When the fan's weren't spinning, the area where the M.2 is was hot. When spinning, the hot air was blown against the motherboard and side panel. The case, at the time, didn't help, a Phanteks P400S.

Soldato
I have that exact block ready to go on my vega 64 strix but waiting until I change cases and cpu/motherboard before i install it. From previous experience with watercooling gpus it makes a massive difference. Vastly lower temps and at no noise from the card. As said before its not cheap to buy it all initially but worth it in the long term but full blocks are expensive to change so if you change your gpu regularly dont do it unless your rolling in cash. :eek:

Associate
I agree about costs. As I intend to keep the car for about 3 years, which is my system's life cycle, normally, spending about 100 pounds for a full cover block is reasonable. Specially if you are using a cheaper reference card, and later the block can be sold, not much money, but always there's market for waterblocks, and a reference design compatible block will be easier to sell too.
running my GPU at much lower temperatures and no extra noise is fantastic. No issues with the temperature holding the GPU's maximum boost, and no hot air being blown at the M.2/Chipset.

Back
Top Bottom