Water meter Install Groan.

Soldato
Got a letter on the post pretty much telling me that there will be a water meter installed on my property.

letter states 70% of the people who move over end up saving money, well I reckon I'm in the 30% where it will cost more as im into the gardening a lot and also have a pond.

letter also states that I got no leg to stand on and there is no other option but to get the meter installed

who else has benefitted from having a meter installer? did u save money? is there anyone I can stop them from installing the meter because living costs are just getting ridicilous by the day.

Soldato
How much do you pay for water currently? I've always lived in houses with meters but i think we pay about £17 a month for water on a meter in a big house, we have a big garden as well but all our water for that is from water butts and only very very occasional use of a hosepipe to fill up a paddling pool or something.

Soldato
OP
It is about £30-£35 a month currently but I'm adamaent the water usage during summer months is worth a hella lot more

I mean this is a big deal for me, how will I water the garden and wash my car or them times when I fancy a hot bath in the winter times

I also have a water butt installed but it takes ages to fill up a watering can and transport that all over the gardens.

Soldato
Try something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harcostar-Fast-Flow-Tap/dp/B000A63K4W

We have a lot of baths in our house as we have a 3 year old and a very big bath so that gets filled most days and even then as i said we're barely paying anything for water, half of what you pay in fact.

Also i know it'll come across as rude but do you really need to use a hosepipe to water your garden all summer? I have a bigish garden of 1/2 an acre with lots of fruit trees and bushes and raised beds full of veg and i've never needed to use a hosepipe, it's not like we need to water the grass in this country or anything.

Caporegime
It is about £30-£35 a month currently but I'm adamaent the water usage during summer months is worth a hella lot more

I mean this is a big deal for me, how will I water the garden and wash my car or them times when I fancy a hot bath in the winter times

I also have a water butt installed but it takes ages to fill up a watering can and transport that all over the gardens.
Why are you against paying for what you use?

Associate
Why are you against paying for what you use?

It doesn't really matter what he does as he'll end up paying for it anyway. As more revenue is lost due to people saving money by being on meters (and thus being low users) they can calculate that the remaining people that are unmetered are using all the water. I would expect that unmetered costs start to (or already have) ramped up in costs at a faster rate than metered costs. Especially as time goes on and more and more meters get installed. This wouldn't work if you randomly selected houses to change meters on but if you assume that there’s a bias for high users to not change out to a meter and low users to actively change to a meter then it's a pattern they can recognise

Soldato
We used to use quite a lot of water in the summer, but then gained a few water butts and went on the meter to cut our usage.

Pay for what you use and hopefully use less in the process.

Caporegime
how many bedrooms is your property? I'd be interested to know how many 1 and 2 bed properties without a garden they are forcing meters on.

Soldato
OP
Yer it all adds up
Only 3 beds
2 bathrooms for now
And washing 3 x cars
2 x patio areas

what about filling up
Them paddling pools in the summer? That’ll all add up. !

then on top
I have a pond, greenhouse and lots of fruit and veg that gets grown
It will def be more i cant see it costing less.

Soldato
OP
The dish washer runs about 8 times a week and the washing machine 2/3 times
I do love a bath in the winter or after intense exercise
That’ll all add up tremendously

Back
Top Bottom