Water meter Install Groan.

Permabanned
That’s a lot of water. Our bill looks like this for the last 6 months.

image.jpg

Associate
Turn your supply off on your incoming water feed then look at your meter which should have stopped. If not you potentially have a leak somewhere between the meter and your stop ****.
Yorkshire Water agreed to come out and do a full inspection, have a look around the property for signs of any leaks etc.
On the day the inspection took place, the fella literally jumped out of his van, opened the grate to the meter and looked at it for one minute. Jumped back in his van and left, nothing like the agreed survey and they refuse to come back out to do it again. Just had to settle the huge debt that had accrued instead.

Soldato
Just gone through the calculator again.

Currently pay £601.40 a year, with a meter i would pay £694.10.
505.26 liters a day.
Dear god that is an obscene amount of water per day!

2 Adults and 2 children jetwash cars and patios regular baths and showers and we only spend £31 per month.

Soldato
Try to hold off getting a meter as long as you can. I'm paying £80 a month, double that of my neighbours. Despite me complaining that the meter must be faulty, Yorkshire Water are adamant that it's not. Nothing I can do about it either apart from taking no more showers!

Turn your supply off on your incoming water feed then look at your meter which should have stopped. If not you potentially have a leak somewhere between the meter and your stop ****.

As well as doing what Doobedoo suggested it would be worth testing the accuracy of your water meter as it could be overcounting. Various ways of doing this, work out the volume of your bath and take meter readings before and after running it to the measured volume. Or use a number of 5L buckets next time your washing the car, or the volume of the toilet cistern and number of flushes.

Once you have the evidence that the water meter is faulty demand that the utility company replace it. Take it to the ombudsman if they fail to comply, and don't forget to demand the money back for the length of time the meter was inaccurate. It's worth doing.

Associate
As well as doing what Doobedoo suggested it would be worth testing the accuracy of your water meter as it could be overcounting. Various ways of doing this, work out the volume of your bath and take meter readings before and after running it to the measured volume. Or use a number of 5L buckets next time your washing the car, or the volume of the toilet cistern and number of flushes.

Once you have the evidence that the water meter is faulty demand that the utility company replace it. Take it to the ombudsman if they fail to comply, and don't forget to demand the money back for the length of time the meter was inaccurate. It's worth doing.
Thanks for that, will do that as the meter being inaccurate is the only thing I can think of as I cant see any sign of internal leaks, and the meter doesn't seem to move when the stop tap is shut.

Soldato
OP
it really makes you wonder... with all of the heightned prices of gas and electric

perhaps this is a way for the water companies to make even more money!

Caporegime
it really makes you wonder... with all of the heightned prices of gas and electric

perhaps this is a way for the water companies to make even more money!

Gas and electric suppliers basically make no profit on a per customer basis, it's something like £15 a year. And most people on water meters are charged less money for the same usage so I would suggest not...

Soldato
try living in devon/Cornwall, found the cost over twice the price due to having to pay to keep beaches clean.

imo water is one thing that should be nationalised.
The last time it was nationalised Labour governments turned a profitable industry into a desolate mess, with such high fines from Europe due to falling so far below cleanliness standards, that the only way to raise that many billions for investment and improvements was for the Tories to privatise it.
Privatisation is not perfect, but it's far better than the absolute ****-show it was when nationalised. People quite quickly forget this.

Yeah, you're not wrong. The amount of leaks is crazy and the time to fix.

Privatised though, all about the profits.

I can have a repair crew on-site anywhere within our area by tonight. The problem is usually in getting local council/landowner agreement (or in some cases court) approval to go on site, dig stuff up and do our thing.
Profits are due to having private investors, the vast majority of whom are your pension funds, because this is a stable long-term industry in which to invest. The amount of profits are due to an excess of cash, which is caused by the regulator's limitation on how much we can invest in the infrastructure anyway.

Back
Top Bottom