Watercooled 3080/3090 VRAM temps - Copper Shim installation

Soldato
Can those with watercooled 3080/3090 cards can you provide your VRAM and GPU temperatures when under load?

Trying to see what delta you have.

For context I have an Inno3d 3080 with a factory fitted Alphacool Eisblock. I don't game with it. It was bought on a whim and at a significantly below MSRP. In a loop with a 7700K and a 360mmx60mm thick rad the VRAM is very hot and I'm thinking about replacing the Eisblock.

Associate
3090 Gamerock.
Ram and Junction were getting into 90s at stock, Gpu was around the mid 60s. I then changed pads on back dropped to low 80s.
Watercooled and with Mp5 works Junction temp/Hotspot temps have barely passed 60C under serious prolonged load, and my gpu temp stays at 44C. All at 370W load.

The backplate cooling for me makes the most difference to my Junction/Memory temps, with these cards it seems to me that watercooling only one side isn't really doing the full job.
Have you and old spare heatsink yoou could try out to cool the backplate Memory. 1mm thermal pad and bungee cord/zipties and see if that improves your temps

Soldato
3090 Palit Gamingpro

Heatkiller 5 block with backplate

GPU on its own loop with external dual 360 55mm thick rads

Gaming
Ambient temp: 19-20c
core temp: 44c
vram temp: 66-68c
Vram temp with heatsink backplate mod: 62c

Soldato
OP
Don`t forget that 3080 doesn`t have memory chips on the back like the 3090 which will help a lot.
understood. My 3080RE though is a lot hotter than those 3080FE.

It's all very confusing. I've seen block reviews that show relatively little difference between RE blocks (Techpowerup) and others (Kitguru) that showed a massive difference. Techpowerup showed VRAM on the Alphacool as 5C worse than the EK Vector while Kitguru showed 22C worse on Alphacool than Vector.

So I don't know whether I've got a crap block and replacing it is worthwhile or an OK block and it isn't. The temps above show that my VRAM temps are still poor despite changing the pads.

Associate
Can you post up the thermal pad layout? I know the EK block uses way more thermal pads than Nvidia, if the Alphacool block uses the same pad layout as Nvidia then that might explain the temperature difference in the memory junction between the two.

Soldato
3090FE with EK block.

When water temp is 35 - 38 degrees according to couple of inflow sensors, my GPU core is usually around 40 degrees - 47 degrees after couple of hours of play. More power demanding games pulling near 400w limit of FE card will be towards later end such as 4k Cybperunk RT. At same time with +1000 Mhz memory offset Memory temp reachs around mid 60's, so much hotter then core, but still more then fine.

Soldato
OP
Can you post up the thermal pad layout? I know the EK block uses way more thermal pads than Nvidia, if the Alphacool block uses the same pad layout as Nvidia then that might explain the temperature difference in the memory junction between the two.

1mm pads across memory. The VRM has the same 1mm. I believe the problem is in the design of the block itself which has relatively little fluid flow over the VRAM areas but as I say I'm confused that one review says it's fine and another says it's not.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...-vs-corsair-vs-ekwb-rtx-3080-gpu-water-block/
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/alphacool-eisblock-aurora-acryl-gpx-n-rtx-3080-3090-reference/

Associate
This is interesting. Having read this thread I was surprised to see that my VRAM is around 75C at idle. But now I understand that this is expected with the 3090. I have the GBT Waterforce waterblock model which has a backplate which certainly does get hot to the touch. However under load the highest VRAM temperature I have seen is 85C with the GPU around 42C.

Associate
Some testing I did a while back when I'd first installed it all in the O11D XL

Port Royal loop:
MP5WORKS BPC installed
GPU 42-43, Memory Junction 58-60
Fans 1500-1700rpm, water temp 31c

This is a 3090 FE with Corsair block, using the pre installed pads.

Back
Top Bottom