Watercooling loop in a Lian-Li DK-Q2 "desk" case

Associate
OP
The case has a removable tray which can be taken out so that the build can actually be performed away from the desk at a more comfortable location which is very nice. Obviously carpet not being the best choice! ;)

Video cards installed there before my water blocks came for space testing purposes.

UbnRxNj.jpg

Associate
OP
Installation of an XSPC RX480 46mm rad. It's interesting to note that because the tray which houses the PC components themselves does not sit centrally in the case I couldn't fit identical rads on each side. The other side I used a slimmer EKWB Coolstream SE 480 with a 25mm core.

9qW5NdK.jpg

Associate
OP
This picture was taken during the filling process hence the reservoir being up on its end. Since the horizontal placement of the res means that I'm not exactly going to be fighting gravity to keep it in place, it's secured with strong velcro so that I can easily pick it up to add biocide or top it up.

This pic also clearly shows the PCIe risers which run from the GPUs to the motherboard. They caused a problem with the loop output from the GPUs which was on the underside due to their orientation. Out with the Dremel to cut a small slot out of the mounting tray to make extra room!

gTFefUp.jpg

There is also nowhere to mount the loop temperature display easily in the case so I slotted it into a cutout in the tray. It doesn't sit flush, but it's good enough.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In this picture you can clearly see how the tray is slightly offset to the right.

CqmL0FK.jpg

And here is the almost finished article with the glass top fitted. It looks very nice in my opinion and it'll be a shame to put a keyboard and mouse on top of it!! ;)

kfb9G2G.jpg

WDXIlky.jpg

I have yet to actually turn it on so I don't know whether it's going to work!

Associate
I was impressed before, now with all the work blog pics also, that's pretty awesome!

I love you had to "Modify" to make your special design fit, very cool.

Do let us know if it turns on ok!

Associate
Mate, I'm so pleased to find this.

I've been crawling over youtube and the like to find a build log, all I could find was that harbringer desk..

In a few years, when I move out, this is the goal! :D

Associate
OP
Mate, I'm so pleased to find this.

I've been crawling over youtube and the like to find a build log, all I could find was that harbringer desk..

In a few years, when I move out, this is the goal! :D

I'm really pleased that this has actually been of use to somebody! I was in exactly the same situation as you before I started the build. There is very little in the way of information out there because the cases aren't common.

What I really wanted to know before I bought were the drawbacks of the case and the problems I would have to deal with in getting it built. I found absolutely nothing so just had to fly by the seat of my pants. If you have any questions at all I'd be happy to answer them :)

Associate
OP
eBnftIY.jpg

Thank god for that!! Turned on first time which was a relief because if I need to do lots of fiddling inside it's not like I can just take the side of the case off. The table top needs to be lifted off. That in itself isn't too much of a problem because the monitor and peripherals can go on the floor if you know you need to tinker. It's just not as convenient as a standard case.

iUzn444.jpg

Crappy quality phone pic just installing the OS. A lor of the internals are obscured by everything on the top. I'll be wall mounting the monitor this weekend to get rid of the OBSCENELY large base. That should help a lot.

Associate
I'm really pleased that this has actually been of use to somebody! I was in exactly the same situation as you before I started the build. There is very little in the way of information out there because the cases aren't common.

What I really wanted to know before I bought were the drawbacks of the case and the problems I would have to deal with in getting it built. I found absolutely nothing so just had to fly by the seat of my pants. If you have any questions at all I'd be happy to answer them :)

I probably won't be buying it for a while - I've got a wedding in Vietnam next year, gotta save ;)

Afterwards, this + watercooling is my goal!

Associate
OP
The desk itself is 70x100cm and you can push it right up against the wall. There is a lip which means that the fans I have installed at the rear of the case have plenty of room as an intake.

The motherboard and graphics cards are coated centrally in the case so they aren't actually connected at the rear of the case. The cables are run into the case through two grommets on the underside.

Back
Top Bottom