waterproof camera with full control of settings?

Man of Honour
does anyone know if any of the waterproof cameras(ft5 sort of thing) out there have options for full control over the iso, shutter speed etc?

I cant find anything so I'm assuming not, but thought I would ask anyway.

Caporegime
There are no manual controls on the Olympus unless I'm missing something?

I have had an AW1 since release (as has the GF) they are nifty pieces of kit and give good IQ - but they aren't a replacement for a proper DSLR.

The manual controlling is a bit of a pain as its almost exclusively in menus, not buttons and because of the speed of the lens and the size of the sensor aperture control is basically pointless. You'll be shooting wide open for light reasons, but it doesn't matter because unless you're extremely close to an object your dof is basically everything anyway. It's also getting on a bit now (coming up to 3 years?) and there is no sign of a replacement or new lenses - which was touted at the time of release.

If you want something with good IQ and decent ability to control your settings to use in/on water then it's basically peerless however. One thing to note, you do need to look after it - specifically the waterproof seals on the compartments and the lens, a lot of people have issues with leaks. As for ours my aperture broke on the lens (and I can't find anywhere to buy just the lens) and the GF has condensation issues with hers, although it still works (and I'm pretty fastidious about making sure the seals are on properly and the seals round the lens is properly greased). We have used them a fair amount though, including a weeks kayaking expedition (where they were basically emerged in salt water for a week) and various other kayak, snorkelling and swimming events.

Man of Honour
OP
basically want something I can use all round (including snorkelling), the reason I want manual control is for night sky shots, other than that full auto mode. Bonus if its lighter and smaller than dsl for hiking as well. I just don't use the dsl to big, to complicated.

also keeping my eye on http://tinymos.com/ but its not a all round waterproof camera,
and unless I take the 500d (I don't want to) I need to get something by mid july. So I either go cheap and replace it later on(Sweden in july, 24hr days so don't have to worry about the night sky aspect), or buy an all-rounder like the aw1 which seems like it fits my needs.

or buy something like the Tg5(although its not out in time) and the Tiny1 when its available and just accept that sometime would need to carry 2 devices. Maybe this would be the better and more capable option whilst maintaining point and shoot, but two devices.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are no manual controls on the Olympus unless I'm missing something?
The Olympus tough has aperture priority mode (not that it means a lot for this sensor) and manual ISO. I don't think you can set shutter - looks like it only goes up to 4 seconds in A mode.

TBH for night sky shots you need a camera with a larger sensor. I don't think you'll get enough light with a compact waterproof camera. My experience of the tough (TG4) was that it's fine underwater. As soon as I took it out of the water I put it away and went back to my (APS-C size) fuji, wasn't that impressed with the results out of water - particularly when after taking it out of the water it takes a long time to get the protective cover on the front of the lens clean enough to take a clear picture without flaring, smearing etc.

Back
Top Bottom