Waterproof earphones / mp3 player

Soldato
Afternoon all,

Has anyone got any recommendations for a waterproof earphones and mp3 player combo that is good for swimming? (mostly breaststroke though some crawl too.)

Trying to be more active and get back in to swimming but as ever it doesn't take long for the boredom of counting lengths to set in. So I've been looking at ways to listen to music while I swim.

Any wires will obviously get in the way so my first thought was waterproof Bluetooth but I doubt they will have the range as the far end of the pool is 30-35m from the lockers and through 2 walls. So I moved on to considering an mp3 player and earphones combo.

A friend has bone conducting ones for cycling and so my first thought was that I'd imagine they would be easier to seal than traditional buds. However any reviews I could find were less than great. So I moved on to a looking for an mp3 earphone combo with earbuds. Again though reviews were mediocre so I'm turning to OCUK to see if anyone has recommendations for good ones.

I don't really have a price range as I'd rather buy quality once than a new pair every year. However they will only be used for swimming so say a budget of around £100.

Soldato
I don't know but imagine that bone conducting would be the only game in town. Ear buds and IEMs require an open port to connect the drivers to your inner ear, seal that up and no sound can get out. Same goes for MP3 players are not going to be waterproof, the market for it as a feature would be miniscule. Much more likely to get a phone that's waterproof due to more widespread dangers (rain or dropping them down the loo).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks @rids57 There's a number of options available but you can get waterproof mp3 players and earbuds/IEM's. It's just none of the reviews I could find suggested any were amazing (I think the best score 3.2 stars /5 on Amazon) so thought I'd seek the advice from anyone on here who might have some personal experience with them.

Judging by the lack of responses though, I'd guess not which isn't too surprising as I doubt there is a huge market for fully waterproof earphones. Still, took a punt on some of the better review bone conducting ones today so will see what they're like when the arrive.

Back
Top Bottom