Way over my head

Associate
Hi
Sorry to create another what would be best forum, but the way things are explained on other threads is a little over my head, and tough to work out if it would suit me.
I have a 2 storey 3 bed house. Thick walls (old build) with Sky Broadband that comes into the front of the house on the ground floor.
I get awful signal upstairs for WIFI, which is particularly noticeable for WFH and the Teams meetings that go on, and the constant drop outs.

The room that the Broadband entered is being redecorated with some rewiring to be done and thought the might be an opportunity to get som cables in. I will be getting data cables in to go from the router to the tv at the rear of the house. I already have a little 5 port hub that covers my needs there.
Wifi is not too bad on the ground floor.

I would like better internet upstairs, preferably without the need for everything to be plugged in.

With a real lack of knowledge and having my head blown trying to do my own research I wonder if you can help.

I was hoping that I could have a data cable installed from the front of the house, into a next to be decorated room. and plug in some kind of booster/acess point in here to create an increased wifi range (maybe also to plug in the NAS too)

I don't even know if this is possible but other options very well received.
I don't wanna spend a fortune, I don't need to use huge amount fo data, as it is just me and the wife, and I don't want to have to keep switching networks to get it.

Really sorry to be one fo those, I have tried to find out for myself but I'm having to research every answer and that where I get really confused.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Probably should add there is Eufy Cameras and vacuum connected. Sonos (1 speaker) Hive heating and Phillips Hue connected.
Only 2 of us will be using the internet at the same time and the most would be both of us streaming at the same time I would imagine.

Soldato
Run a cable to the loft space, drop it down in a central location like the landing, put an AP on the end of it, this single act will improve your WiFi significantly. To avoid issues name the SSID the same as your existing SSID (WiFi network name) and use the same password, you’ll probably find you can turn off the Sky WiFi.

Associate
OP
thank you very much.
So as long as the SSID is changed to be the same as the wifi (along with the passowrd0 this would be seamless connection?
The next question would be is there any particular specs I need to look at for an AP

Caporegime
thank you very much.
So as long as the SSID is changed to be the same as the wifi (along with the passowrd0 this would be seamless connection?
The next question would be is there any particular specs I need to look at for an AP

No, you would still need to reconnect. If it didn't drop itself in favour of the stronger signal.

Soldato
Most devices will pick the strongest connection and switch, however realistically you probably don’t need to worry about it and could knock the Sky WiFi off altogether. Some AP’s have steering settings so they will handle seem less handoff between them (Unifi), and historically Apple devices used to cling on to grim death on the initial network, things have changed.

Soldato
Let’s put it this way, I can cover 3 floors with one AP, 5Ghz won’t set any speed records on the ground floor, but it works well enough, 2.4Ghz has better penetration.

Associate
OP
This is good news. So. Can I have data cable installed from downstairs to upstairs (router to POE switch) the data cable from POE to NANO HD IN THE CEILING.
I could effectively move the NAS to the switch and hid it upstairs also?

Back
Top Bottom