WD Caviar RE 320GB installation probs

Soldato
I got this drive today and am trying to set it up as a master so I can install Win XP on it. the computer's not recognising it. when I tried to set it up as a slave, it came up: Primary Slave Hard Disk Error.

Anyone any ideas?

Soldato
IDE or SATA (sounds like IDE to me, but is it SATA running in emulated IDE mode?)?

Could be a dead drive, or jumper/IDE cable fault. I'll need more info to know.

Soldato
buckeejit said:
no, I haven't. I'm sorry, but how do i do that? The drive spins up and all so could that be the problem?
Yes, it could be the problem. Look on the back of the drive, there will be 8 pins in their own box (perhaps with a white plastic thing [a jumper]). Next, look at the top of the HDU and you'll see that there are options for the HDU using these pins and positioning the plastic jumper on the correct pins. Look for something like 'enable SATA 150MB/s only mode' and set the jumper across the pins it states. There is a diagram to show you exactly. Try this and then replace the disk and see if it works.

Soldato
OP
smids said:
Yes, it could be the problem. Look on the back of the drive, there will be 8 pins in their own box (perhaps with a white plastic thing [a jumper]). Next, look at the top of the HDU and you'll see that there are options for the HDU using these pins and positioning the plastic jumper on the correct pins. Look for something like 'enable SATA 150MB/s only mode' and set the jumper across the pins it states. There is a diagram to show you exactly. Try this and then replace the disk and see if it works.

I tried this and it still didn't work :(

Soldato
buckeejit said:
I have tried 2 SATA cables. what's RMA and would the drive be dead if it's spinning?
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorisation i.e. a return.

It can be dead, even if spinning - the controller board sometimes fails.

Back
Top Bottom