Weak leader, boss, no action.

Associate
Hi All,

I have a situation where I have a challenging colleague. Our relationship is professional however he has a significant negative impact on the business. There is friction between us, that is similarly between him and other colleagues and subordinates. We are both heads of different deptments, so we must work together.

I threatened to leave the business following several discussions with our boss (MD) however, other that citing that this colleague has personal issues that he is getting support with, nothing has happened.

I recently picked this up again with my manager who I believe is scared to act / doesn't know what to do. He has told me that he has spoken to this challenging colleague on several occassions. However there has been little to no change in his attitude and behaviour.

I am a very candid individual and I will call my colleague out on his action and behaviour, but recently I feel as though I am fighting a fight that cannot be won.

I enjoy my job, I have a good team and other than this challenging colleague and my weak manager, i can see myself here for the long run.

So...what do I do??? I don't want to leave, however if the situation is not sorted, I dont think I have any options?

Any comments, thoughts and feedback on the situation would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
We have a HR manager who reports to the MD.....he is also weak and not much use with internal issues, nevermind issues at a senior level.

There is no one other than the owner above the MD and the owner only cares for £££.

Associate
OP
We sit below the MD he is my direct line manager.

We have a professional relationship as he doesnt really open up personal.

I respect him and enjoy working with the MD, but I am obviously losing that respect, due to his lack of action.

Soldato
I’d leave personally. The company either won’t do anything or if the colleague gets any disciplinary action their behaviour will probably be worse.

Leave and specifically mention the colleague as the reason why. Doesn’t help you particularly but might help the company and your replacement.

Soldato
How is the other person challenging?

He may have certain issues which make him act the way he does. And if that's the case, you haven't a hope in hell

Associate
OP
He is a bully towards subordinates.

He is a narcissist / sociopath.

I can handle him. However his behaviour severely negatively effects the business.

This main issue stopping resolution is my bosses lack of any and all action. I know my colleague cannot change.

Soldato
I threatened to leave the business following several discussions with our boss (MD)

So why haven't you left? You've painted yourself into a corner. If you don't leave you've painted yourself as weak. Quite possibly your boss is testing you. The only thing you can do is to follow through and submit your resignation. "Dear Boss, Further to our conversation of X I am disappointed to see that nothing appears to have happened. As such I must regretfully tender my resignation..."

Associate
OP
My boss is not testing anything. He is too weak to act. I dont know why. Perhaps his hands are tied by the owner....??

However, leaving is not what I want to do. I enjoy my role and the industry I work in. I enjoy the business, i have built a strong competent team and I want to continue to develop them and the business.

I'm looking for a solution. A different way of approaching the situation perhaps.

Associate
OP
Quartz, hardly. More the fool for turning tail and running.

Yes, I threatened to leave if the situation wasnt rectified. I then reflected and realised that I shouldnt leave somewhere because of someone else. So I am looking for a potential solution.

If you cant offer anything different constructive then leave the thread.

Soldato
Understand that by not tendering your resignation you are doing yourself irreperable harm, both in the eyes of your boss and in your subordinates.

Associate
OP
That is your belief, it is not mine. It certaintly is not irreparable.

My subordinates are not aware of any of my discussion nor threats to leave.

Soldato
Understand that by not tendering your resignation you are doing yourself irreperable harm, both in the eyes of your boss and in your subordinates.

There is some hilariously bad advice in here sometimes!

It does sound like ultimately it's going to be down to you to sort out, if no-one more senior is interested. Resolving conflicts like this is something few people are capable of, let alone good at. Document everything, keep raising it, especially where his behaviour is having a material $$$ impact on the business.

The nuclear option is to go over your bosses head straight to the owner and point out that money is going down the drain because no-one wants to sort the issue out. I've done this on occasion but it should really be a last resort, before-you-quit measure, because it can irrevocably sour relationships in the business. It can also result in sorting the problem and getting yourself noticed.

Associate
OP
Thanks mid_gen

I have decided to keep pressing the issue until my boss decides to deal with it or tells me to back off. At which point I'll know how I am valued.

I've also raise the issue with some colleagues (other Heads of Depts) who have expressed similar concerns. Unfortunately they are not as candid as me.

Hopefully, i'll be able to update this thread in a couple of months with a positive outcome.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Thanks mid_gen

I have decided to keep pressing the issue until my boss decides to deal with it or tells me to back off. At which point I'll know how I am valued.

I've also raise the issue with some colleagues (other Heads of Depts) who have expressed similar concerns. Unfortunately they are not as candid as me.

Hopefully, i'll be able to update this thread in a couple of months with a positive outcome.
Get the other heads of dept together and all of you go to the MD with your concerns.

He might listen and do something about it if he realises doing nothing will not only effect you and your role, but the rest of them and the rest of the business as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom