1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web censorship: BBC Correspondent reports

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Shackley, 29 May 2006.

1. Shackley

Banned

As human rights group Amnesty International launches a global campaign to try to halt censorship of the internet by governments, BBC correspondents report from some countries where web users face difficulties - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5024874.stm

Amnesty are asking for signatures to a petition to stop companies such as Google, MSN, AOL etc. helping states to stifle debate on the Internet. The petition reads :
    "I believe the Internet should be a force for political freedom, not repression. People have the right to seek and receive information and to express their peaceful beliefs online without fear or interference.

I call on governments to stop the unwarranted restriction of freedom of expression on the Internet – and on companies to stop helping them do it.
    Sign this pledge"

I would urge you to read the petition, sign it if you agree and tell as many people as you can about it. The petition is at http://irrepressible.info/pledge

2. 4T5

Man of Honour

I remember when i was first on the Net and there was a feeling of total freedom. Like an underground club that had no rules as there were none needed.
    How things change.

Thanks for the heads up.

3. Shackley

Banned

Incidentally, the Amnesty International petition is still accessible from the UK, so if you haven't done so yet, sign up while you can ;)

4. teaboy5

Soldato

Funny how the BBC report this, yet they are well known for removing comments which don't agree with the content.

5. Dingo

Banned

With you on this one....duly siogned ;)

6. Shackley

Banned

Got any examples of this behaviour?